cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JACKIE1-25-15

We all could find an EXcuse to smoke.

And that  is what it would be just an EXcuse!  I remember one of the elder's posted a list of EXcuses used to continue smoking.  Mine was on the list.  Fear of gaining weight.   Well I quit smoking and I gained a little weight and I eventually lost a little weight.  In fact, I now weigh less than when I first quit smoking. It balanced out but I needed to focus on the quit first.  I am here to tell you not to worry because quitting smoking is the beginning of an overall healthier lifestyle.  You will get there. One day at a time, one task at a time. With all the crisis going on around us please don't use one of them as an EXcuse to smoke.  

14 Replies

May I just add that Life is precious so the last thing we need in our Lives is Self destruction. That's  what smoking is! We All need to care for ourselves and each other! Peace! Love! Hugs to each of You! Hugs for you, Jackie! God Bless!

Sandy-9-17-17

Is also a concern of mine, weight gain, but....conquer the quit first, and then conquer the weight is what I keep 

telling myself.  I am up about 8 lbs already, but I feel better overall, and the weight won't kill me like smoking 

was doing.  

YoungAtHeart

Remember, too, that there is NEVER a good reason to smoke - there ARE only excuses!

Nancy

elvan

Oh my, weight gain was one of my biggest EXcuses but then there was that white knuckle quit that got me more than once...I wasn't prepared, I wasn't reading or learning about recovery from nicotine addiction, all I was doing was thinking about smoking constantly until I finally wore down and smoked.  It was NEVER worth it, NEVER, don't be like me and WISH you had quit years ago...quit now and stay that way.

Ellen

Sootie

I think weight gain is a big EXCUSE for women and probably a fair amount of men also. It was one of mine for sure. But I also had a fear of "becoming old"----HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT ONE??? Hard to explain but it was like when I smoked I had to stay in that "young mind set" that nothing could hurt me.....nothing could harm me....not me!!! Giving up smoking represented beginning to acknowledge........yes, I could get sick...yes I could die. I have to start worrying about health. SOMEHOW (in my warped addicted mind) this meant I was getting old.

CRAZY THINKING ----but that's addiction.

Giulia

Not crazy thinking at all.  Total 'get' that mindset.

0 Kudos
elvan

Sootie‌ Never thought of that "young" mindset...never occurred to me.  That's really interesting.

0 Kudos
bonniebee

I did not really have a fear of weight gain this time around because I learned from my first quit attempt many years ago how to manage that . I had gained 8 pounds in my first month quitting and I was also very depressed . I was at the local health food store an I met a nice  man, we got chatting and I told him that I had quit smoking and was having a terrible time with depression . He told me if I didn't get busy exercising, whatever form of exercise I like to do , I would surely smoke again . I began walking 30 minutes after work everyday or nearly everyday and I began losing 2 pounds a week and m depression gradually subsided . I did end up smoking again because i went out dancing and decided one puff would not hurt ......ya right ! The lesson I learned from that attempt was how important exercise is for the brain and body especially when quitting smoking ! When I started smoking again I weighed less then when I first quit . The same thing happened this quit, like Jackie I initially gained about 10 pounds and now I weigh 6 pounds less then when I quit . I have chosen a much healthier life style in the past 968 days ! 

It is a journey !

Sootie

bonniebee‌   I totally agree! I walk every day and I find that it keeps my weight in control. I eat anything I feel like eating (try to avoid the really BAD stuff at MOST times!!) but I credit walking with keeping my weight in check. AND---I also TOTALLY agree with the depression thing. I have never suffered from real depression....but when I am "down" or have a problem.....walking always, always, always helps.