cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ranjitthewolf

Cheap Happiness sticks

Hello All. I have a question for all of you. During our smoking days we had the nicotine which releases dopamine in our heads which made us feel good. So in turn dopamine was making us feel good and when we don't get nicotine, our brain used to crave for it. So if we look at it in one angle wasn't cigarettes actually a cheap way of staying happy or relaxed? So during our busy day to day schedules what do we do to keep happy and relaxed? i want something which is cheap, easy to do and one which don't kill me.

12 Replies
Roller831

I could argue cigarettes are not cheap.  Try exercise.  It increases dopamine and can be done very cheaply if you want.  My $0.02.

Bree19

Music.  Always music.  Fixes soooo many negatives.

Good luck!

Brianairb2

I agree with roller831‌ that it is not cheap...whether we're talking about money or at the expense of your health.  And yes, exercise truly is a cheap effective means to get dopamine and endorphins.  That's it.  If you find it difficult, remember that for most, it took time to cultivate a taste for cigarettes and create the habit at the very beginning.  Creating a habit of exercise is a similar effort, with opposite side effects. 

And Bree19‌ is also so so SO right on:  putting on some tunes and taking a nice walk always turns my mood around.

stAn3

Drinking water and exercising

YoungAtHeart

Engaging in sex, eating a bit of chocolate, any form of exercise, singing out loud, listening to or dancing to music, meditation, dopamine enhancing supplements like cucumin, doing something creative like playing music, or drawing or knitting, X'ing off the days on a calendar that you haven't smoked and watching the calendar fill up with them!

Nancy

prjimm01

You are the best!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Music is cheaper than the cigs.  Exercise also is cheaper.  Helping someone also releases dopamine as simple as helping someone cross a street.  Does not cost anything. Here's more 10 Ways to Increase Dopamine to Boost Your Productivity - Endless Events 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

And I forgot the easiest one -  laughing out loud! YouTube awaits you!

😉

prjimm01

I agree with Nancy - sex.  And chocolate.  Nancy is a genius you know.

0 Kudos