cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Daniela2016

I did not know shoes inserts are so expensive

But in an effort to keep exercising, I've developed plantar fasciitis, and I could not even perform the heart stress test.  Could barely walk for the last month or so.  And here I am now, back from the Good feet store, $900 lighter, and a new pair of shoes on my feet.  Worked out a 6 months payment plan, so that should help.  But as I am sitting here, shoes (with inserts) still on, my heel does not hurt anymore.

Please tell me they did not take advantage of me... and these are really the prices you have to pay to get a good pair of inserts (just the hard one I am wearing now was $365, and they gave me a soft pair to wear in the house, and the shoes, and life time service).

Anyone had to do it, anyone had to pay that much???

0 Kudos
7 Replies
elvan

I don't have shoe inserts but I did have to get them for my youngest daughter about ten years ago...took her to a physical therapist at the recommendation of ortho doc. Hers cost a little over $200 and when she needed replacements. she got them through Amazon, they sent her molds for her to stand in and then they custom made them.  They seemed to help with the plantar fasciitis and some knee pain she had with running.  Those were about $100.  Neither of them had lifetime warranties, if your heel does not hurt, they are probably well worth the cost.  Like I said,  I got hers about 10 years ago and the other pair, I am not sure of.  She wears them for running, not sure if she wears them for anything else,  She did buy a pair of Birkenstocks...sandals and she SWEARS by them.

Hugs,

Ellen.

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Thank you so much Ellen elvan‌ prices might have changed in the last 10years, but when they told me the price, my heart skipped a beat.  I need to take the pic of hubby's face when I'll tell him the price!  And there is always the option to turn them back in if they don't work for me and chase another, cheaper option.  I really did not want to go to another doctor, I probably could have had them covered by insurance if I did...developing a serious aversion for Dr's appointments, it seems I have one or 2 every week, doctors, labs, whatever.

Love and hugs,

Daniela

0 Kudos
Giulia

There are expensive and less expensive ways of dealing with plantar fasciitis.  My surgeon recommended the strassburg sock for helping me relieve the morning symptoms of my gastroc/achilles surgery, which is all about being too tight and cramping up.  Just passing it on.  It's a whole lot cheaper than the $900 you just spent.  You might just take a gander at it.  But yes, shoe inserts if they're orthodics made secifically for you foot,  are VERY expensive.  I think my last pair cost $600 and that was 3 years ago.  Sorry you're going through it. Definitely NOT FUN!

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Ouch!  No knowledge here on that - but hope it works for you.

0 Kudos

When I severed my foot in 1999, I finally got some custom work boots made because that leg was half an inch shorter. They had custom inserts. $750. They poured plaster casts of my feet and dang those things were comfortable. Then I had another surgery because after 6 months of PT, I still couldn't step off with the ball of my foot. That surgery invalidated those boots and insurance wouldn't pay for another so I switched to extra wide comfort shoes a size larger for when my foot swells.

Now I just wear good slide sandals with nothing between my toes.

Comfortable feet are imperative at any cost

Daniela2016

Thank you all so much for your input!  I took them for a 30 min walk, and the heel hurt much less than with any contraption/compressive sock I had already purchased.  The knee is still a little tender, but they promised in time even the knee pain will subside, as soon as the heel will no longer need over compensating.

I guess as we age we need all kind of orthotics to keep us going..

But hey, we get some benefits

0 Kudos
elvan

Sounds good, I am glad they are helping you.  I am sure that you will use that lifetime warranty well.  If they don't do what they are supposed to do...make them live up to that warranty.  I am SURE that prices have changed a lot in ten years.  Let me tell you that when they told me they were $200, I just about died.  DO keep us posted on how much these help...I really am praying for you.

I can relate to the doctor appointment fatigue...I don't go every two weeks but sometimes I feel like my life revolves around appointments and none of them are any closer than a 45 minute drive.  That and the drive back and the time in the waiting rooms pretty much blows an entire day.

XOXOXO,

Ellen

0 Kudos