cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

EastEnd

A week and a day

Greetings all.

I'm at eight days today, without a cigarette.  The urges to smoke come and go and I don't yet see any reduction in those thoughts.  This morning I'm packing for a rigorous two month trip and it seems I want a smoke, more than ever.  

That is not going to happen.  My Blood Pressure is lower than it has been in three years, my chest for the most part is clear and I have increased energy levels, even after a week with no tobacco.  

All I need to do is focus on the significant improvements and any pleasure from a cigarette pales, by comparison.  

6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

If you give it some thought, I think you will realize that the "pleasure" you thought you got from smoking a cigarette was mostly a lie.  You felt calmer and more able to concentrate because the nicotine sensitized sensors in your brain that were demanding a fix were quieted by your providing it.  That hit of dopamine can be gotten from a bit of exercise, or chocolate, or sex, or singing aloud or dancing to music ----- and those things won't slowly kill you.

This journey will be much easier if you understand that concept.  If your computer is going on that trip with you, I strongly suggest reading the Allen Carr book to which we gave you a link.  You don't have to follow his plan, but it will help you understand what nicotine has done to your body and mind.

Wow - that is a significant jaunt!  To where will you travel?  It sounds exciting!

Congratulations on making it through H#ll Week!  On to Heck Week and beyond!

Nancy

0 Kudos
elvan

Congratulations on getting through your first week of many.  A two month trip sounds both amazingly appealing and daunting.  To want a cigarette now more than ever is to be expected.  The craves WILL get weaker, it takes time and, let's face it, we are not the most patient people in the world.  I do hope you can keep in touch while you are traveling and let us know how you are doing and if there is any way that we can help.  

Again, congratulations.

Ellen

0 Kudos
EastEnd

Thank you for your encouragement. I’ll be out of cell/wifi range most of the time so will be dropping off the site for a while. The territory I will be passing through is “cigarette scarce” so the only way I could lapse would be to carry my own along which is not happening.

T.

0 Kudos
elvan

EastEnd  I so hope that when you can connect you will share with us your adventure.  It would be so nice to live vicariously through you.  I am so happy for you, you honestly could not sound more solid.  It will get easier, I promise.  

Ellen

0 Kudos

Great Job on Hell Week! Some of us refer to Week 2 as Heck Week! It's just a little less steep! Keep focusing on the benefits you are seeing and hold on to that Determination and Commitment! It will get Better and Better in all areas!

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Sounds like a plan. Keep those positive thoughts close no matter what. 

0 Kudos