cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JessicaF

Did anyone's voice change?

Smoking has caused me to have what I call "man voice," which would be fine...if I were in fact a man   Sadly I am not & am wondering if not having such a deep voice is one of the benefits I can look forward to after my quit. I realize some permanent damage to my vocal chords may have been done, just curious to see if anyone can report a positive change in that area. 

Tags (1)
12 Replies

mine did the opposite and cleared up.  I had the smoker's rasp, rattle, a gravely tone.  I cleared my throat all the time in the beginning.  I know for sure that I don't miss that cough anymore

Bree19

I tend to belt out songs in my car and am always happy there's no one to hear me because there were/are notes I just cannot reach anymore.  I don't know if my voice is changing back to sounding like a girl yet but...I can suddenly sing much higher notes now than I did before my quit in February this year JessicaF

Bree

elvan

JessicaF‌ I honestly don't know, I think my voice is less raspy but I do get this gurgly mucous thing in my throat that my pulmonologist says is a side effect of the inhalers.  I drink a shot of pure lemon juice and it goes away.  Guess you will have to wait and see.
Ellen

12Finally34

My voice is deep.  When I answer the phone family, friends and associates mistake me for a man.

After 9 days, I was on the phone with a friend.  He noticed that my voice sounds clearer.  I cannot tell the difference.

After I build a strong foundation for becoming an Ex..., one of my goal will be to see a vocal therapist.  For now, I am sticking with Carr's reading, following the suggestions, gratitude list, nicotine meetings, having no excuse for taking first puff (voice/no voice)  staying close and reading the blogs from Exs...as well as participating in the blogging.

As a professional, smoking is a cause of voice disorders.  

constanceclum

I've been hoarse a lot at 20 DOF. Some of that is probably due to the extreme heat/humidity we have had in NC but I think I've always had a temporary change to my voice for awhile after quitting.

Connie

elvan

JessicaF  I remember the first time I ever heard my voice on a recording and I thought there was no way that it was me...it just did not sound like I THOUGHT I sounded.  Certainly, removing the horrible irritants that you were breathing in had to affect your voice.  It will be interesting to see if other people notice a change, I don't think we really hear ourselves.

Ellen

Barbara145

My throat and voice get irritated.  I find that honey helps.

bonniebee

My voice became very deep . hoarse , and raspy from smoking and since I quit it has markedly improved it is still low but definitrly not as hoarse and raspy I have even had friends comment on how much better my voice sounds .

It is also important to note that as women get older and hormones change it is normal for the voice to become a lower tone .

12Finally34

Thank you for reminding about the age factor!!  

I think I am doing as good as a 40 year old til I get involved with activities that shouts "Act your age not your shoe size!"  

For example, agitated because I am not detoxing fast enough.  Instead of taking the suggestion and studying my disease and not to pick up the first one.  

12Finally34