cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Back with my tail between my legs...

First week, did great! Day 10, still trucking. Day 13- haha, gotcha. I'm not here to make any excuses or have anybody tell me it's ok. What I really need is a good kick square in the arse! I want to get out of this! I'm sick and tired of letting that little monster control me. I'm supposed to be stronger than this. So, for my fellow friends who have suffered the relapse - how do you get back on the path to being free from nicotine, while you're feeling guilty & beating yourself up about giving in to your addiction? Criticism is welcome, as long as it is HELPFUL. I'm trying to identify the best way for me to be free. 

stock-photo-bad-dog-dirty-sad-english-bulldog-being-scolded-by-wagging-finger-95310709.jpg

17 Replies
Ready2021

Jump back in and do it again you can do this Im a newbie but and I have not had a relapse but Im sure i know how your feeling come back this site has your back plenty of love here the elders will embrace you newbies will embrace you

Roller831

Hi - Nice to meet you!  I am a Newbie as well.  I quit for 5 years back in my 20's (which was 20 years ago!) and know the relapse feeling.  Unfortunately, it took me that long to quit again.  Some things to consider.  Evaluate what actually got you and how you could have dealt with it differently.  The things you are doing or could do....Coming back here is the one of the best things you did!  You do not appear to be giving up!  It is time for you to forgive yourself and move on.  Make a new quit plan!  I was told my the Elders to read or re-read Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf  I found the book helpful and it also gave me something to do in those early days.  I am finding myself reading it again now as well (actually, I am listening to it on CD in my car on my commute to work).

Ready2021

Great info for me also 

YoungAtHeart

I'm glad you came back soon!

Think about what caused you to make the decision to smoke and make a plan what to do differently THIS time.  Take the time to think about all the similar situations and plan AHEAD of time what you can do.  Were you bored?  Keep a crossword puzzle book handy!  Tired?  Just get to bed, or take a nap!  Hungry?  Keep fruit and trail mix handy!  Lonely?  Call a friend, or go to a place where there are people - a coffee shop, or a mall?  Angry?  Yell into or punch a pillow, or march in place, or take slow, deep breaths.  Stressed?  Again - slow, deep breaths, count to 100, go for a brisk walk, arms a- swinging and perhaps repeat "NOPE!" under your breath as you go.  Visualize pounding the reason you are stressed to a pulp!

You CAN do this.  Use the tools!  Once you have made the decision you need to honor it NO MATTER WHAT!

Nancy

TW517

I'm on my 6th quit.  This one started May 15.  My previous started April 20 and lasted only 12 days.  So you won't get any scolding from me.  In fact, I'm glad to see someone else wanting to jump right back in so soon after your fail.  I felt so bad after my previous fails, it was months or years before I had the nerve to try again.  This time it was different.

The 2 things that have helped me the most are 1) the info I learned on this site, and 2) a change in my attitude.  On all my other quits, I realized that I was relying on someone or something else to be successful (my doctor, my NRT's, my smoking friends not lighting up around me, my job not getting too stressful...).  I see a little of that in your statement, "letting that little monster control me".  Only you can control your quit.  You have to decide to quit, not "try" to quit.

So, instead of scolding you, I'd rather welcome you back and encourage you to begin your new quit right away.  It would sure be an encouragement to me and many other relapsers (sp?) to see you succeed.

jbliesmer

Why did you light up? Did you think you would "get away with it"? Did you think one puff won't hurt?
You need to determine what made you smoke and what can make you more accountable.

elvan

fedupwithunfit  You have gotten some great advice above...figure out what went wrong and plan for the next instance...there WILL be another instance, triggers are everywhere if we are looking around, we have to learn how to deal with them and we have to accept the fact that smoking doesn't fix anything.  Smoking does nothing FOR us but it does lots TO us, there are many of us here who can attest to that.  I had many failed quits before this one which is over three years old.  I think the best thing you can do is to get right back on that "horse"...quit as soon as you can.  Don't beat yourself up...PICK yourself up.  Next time you feel overwhelmed, PLEASE come here and blog before you light up.  Put the word HELP in the subject of your blog and let us try to help you get through it.  No crave ever killed anyone.  No one can say that about smoking.

Best,

Ellen

maryfreecig

Only one way to quit, whether you relapsed, or quitting for the first time. Don't smoke one day at a time. First job is to simply not smoke doing whatever it takes to accomplish that. Second job is to disable the addiction and relearn life with out the smokes. All of this takes willingness to not smoke no matter how wiggy you may get. Support is a good thing, so keep coming back.

JACKIE1-25-15

Even though you have become a member I think you are trying to do this alone.  If I researched correctly it has been about 3 weeks since you have been around.  I would suggest to stay a little closer until you get more secure in your quit. /blogs/JACKIE1-25-15-blog/2015/10/21/stay-connected?sr=search&searchId=0bf1c5d2-3d59-4c9a-9f1c-a9e02...