cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

What worked best for you to get past a crave?

I used Peppermints and other hard candies a  lot. They gave my hands something to do and also helped keep my mouth and throat moist. 

Cut straws helped when the candies needed some help.

Please give your best tips on how you got past a crave.

Tags (1)
8 Replies
TW517

Cut straws and deep breaths work best for me.

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

I would get up and do something different.  If I were watching TV when one hit - I would go for a short walk.  If I were on my computer - I might go brush my teeth.  Just do anything different to change your thought process.  It worked for me.

0 Kudos
elvan

Sour candies that made me shake my head.  

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Lots of cold water, I also used celery and carrots, I found especially with the raw carrot sticks that through a strong crave that the chomping noice seemed calming weird I know! I did have a small bag of sugar free mints but hardly used them but I did use Dale's mantra that I don't do that anymore, more times than I remember along with several shakes of my head while saying it and of course believing that I would succeed and Remaining willing, determined and committed was key, thanks OldBones-Larry .

0 Kudos
shashort

Drinking Ice water in my water bottle with straw and going on walks, mints and gum. Coming here and reading and blogging. Got up and got busy doing something to distract myself.  Used the mantras a lot NOPE, SINOA and I don't do that anymore. Thanks @OldBones-Larry 

Ready2021

dental floss picks cold water baby carrots

Barbara145

Drinking small cups of strong coffee kind of gave me the hit I missed from the cigarettes.  Taking my dogs for a short walk worked every time.  Like Ellen said, I would say out loud, "I don't do that anymore."  It helped in the moment and continually reinforced my quit.

0 Kudos
freeneasy

Taking slow deep breaths with my eyes closed, clearing my mind and then sticking my head in the freezer and breath in hard.

0 Kudos