cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TW517

Anyone else keeping their quit kind of a secret?

Obviously you can't keep it secret for long, and not at all to people you interact with daily.  But I'd rather not broadcast it to everyone I know.  Or even bring it up to anyone.  If someone asks, I'll let them know I've quit and ask them not to make a big deal about it.

This is the 6th time I've quit.  Four of the times I told everyone, and was smoking again within weeks or days.  The time I quit for 11 months, I didn't tell a soul.  I'm not saying I started again those other times because I told people.  But I find the less I'm reminded of what I'm doing, the easier it is for me.  Just now, a well-meaning co-worker asked me when I returned from lunch how I was holding up.  Of course, she had to go on about how hard it was for her that first year, especially after having a meal, etc., etc.  Gee thanks, I was actually doing OK until you brought this up.  That interaction was bad enough.  I really don't want my social media feeds and text messages reminding me all day long, no matter how well meaning.

Research supposedly says telling everyone is the best way.  Not sure I agree.  What are your experiences?

41 Replies
bookee6

I just quit and I wasn't going to tell anyone for a while but I when I did  I found out it helps.  I have even gotten the few smoker friends I have left to think about quitting.  Sometimes I feel if I don't hear about the challenges or even read about smoking it would be easier but I take it all in and just remind myself that I don't smoke any more and that is how I want it. 

be honest with people tell them thanks for asking but I cannot talk about it, it makes it harder they will understand and if they don't you don't need them around you.

best wishes

YoungAtHeart

I would tell those close friends who you think will be supportive.  I think it helps to hold you accountable, too.  You REALLY don't want to go through telling them AGAIN that you didn't make it.

I told EVERYONE - but I didn't mind talking about it.....

Do what feels comfortable to YOU!  This is YOUR quit!

Nancy

freeneasy

I don't know if I understood it but did you say you're on an 11-month quit.?  That's great congrats. I think you should do whatever you feel comfortable with. I quit during a 4 + month leave from work, so I didn't have to deal with that issue. It's your quit so you're not required to announce it. I think it's good to do it that way and see if people notice.

TW517

This quit is only 36 days old.  Last time I quit was 11 months.  It did seem to work better for me to tell as few people as possible.  I don't think it's a huge factor, but I am always curious what works for others who have quit.

freeneasy

Congrats on your 36 days quit! Keep stacking the days. It seems that getting close to a milestone may be a stumbling block for some people. 

elvan

I told everyone...and I mean EVERYONE, even cashiers at the grocery store.  I wanted people to know why I was squirrelly.  There was only one person I held off on telling and that was my youngest daughter.  She was out of the country and I wanted to wait until I was on more solid ground.  Turns out, she was my biggest supporter.

TW517

Ha!  Good point.  I haven't lost my temper with anyone yet, but if I do, telling them I'm a recent quitter might help with the apology!

bonniebee

Me too Ellen !!! 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

I kept quiet for a little while. I had to face myself first. I was oversensitive for a good long while about quitting--and about comments on my non smoking status. I was tender inside, so I suppose I was doing the best I could to protect my quit. Mostly, what I really wanted was my inside to say, "yes, quitting is AWESOME POSSUM." But I trudged and trudged til one day my quit became AWESOME POSSUM. Thank God!!!!

Thanks for posting your question and thoughts on the matter.

High five.