cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

The Right Questions

Asking the right questions at our Doctor's appointments is critical to our well-being and use of limited resources. I bring a little notebook with questions written down. I also bring my Wife or a Friend to help me listen carefully to any advice that may be old news to the Dr. but never occurred to me. After all, they do and say this every day and their By the Ways can be chockfull of valuable info! I also ask for all test results - not just conclusions the tests themselves and clinical notes from every exam. It helps me determine what the Dr thought was noticeable. 

Here is a list of some questions to ask:

https://copdnewstoday.com/2017/06/19/ten-questions-doctor-nurse-copd/ 

I found out just how important these questions are when I found out I was using the Spiriva Respimat dispenser - with no medicine inside for a Month! WOW! The med aide showed me how to use the dispenser but forgot to explain how to load the med into the dispenser. I just wrongly thought that the dispenser came loaded! 

Your pharmacist is a resource of valuable info as well so even if you think you know, let him/her explain how to use your new medications. They often share stuff that the Dr and or nurse may not even know. It's important to take several meds in a specific order so we need to get these things right.

Knowledge is Power!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
3 Replies
Diannnnn

As always, great advice! I started memo's on my phone for my dr's and counselor to make notes on ?'s and discussion topics. 

When you have a disease, I believe you get the best care when the patient is an active member of the care team.

Thanks Thomas!

0 Kudos
elvan

Thomas3.20.2010  I ask my pharmacist whenever I get a new medication, the pharmacists seem to be much more knowledgeable than the docs...I was on Spiriva for a while too...that thing is a challenge to load the first time.  I am not on it any more...doc changed me to Incruse.  I can't say that I have noticed any difference with ANY inhalers.  I do think that being prepared for appointments is crucial, I HAVE to write things down, even if I think I have everything together, I forget something and then have to wait until the next appointment or call and hope someone calls me back.  

Showiestodin

Very true. I've taken questions and a notebook with me to doctor appointments for the past few years. It really helps keep all that information clear. Great advise!