cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

BryantD

There is nobody looking, tell me what would you do?

Ok,,tell me what happens when you get the urge to smoke, only because it is a habit, and the triggers never really go away, you just learn to subdue them? Well here it is I am in a room and my best friend is smoking.  I usually smoke with him as we talk and about talking, about nothingnext to smomething that could be important.  The trigger was the entire situation. What do I do with my hands? What do I do about the stinky smell that is all too familiar, but none the less I want to join in. Do I tell my friend to put the cigarette out? Do I just walk away? Do I grab a cigarette and join in? In this case tell me what would you do.. there is no right or wrong answers so be brutally honest, what would you do? 

30 Replies
BryantD

We can be ourselves here so the truth matters. 

BryantD

The real test here, is nothing to do with if one should smoke or not.  That is a personal  ( cross to bare) so to speak. We have not all been the strongest folk we are pretending to be now.  I am sure that there is a number count on the times you have quit, honestly... but the real test here is tolerance.  As a smoker you would not dare allow someone to tell you were to smoke, how long to smoke, or even what to smoke.  You forced people to allow you to do you.  Good, bad, or indifferent.. tolerance.  Now, I am the one who gave up smoking, so do I now declare war on my friends and family who are in love with the idea, and what cigarettes do to and for them?  Do I now    at them as scum of the earth the way folk did me, while I rolled my eyes, and took an even deeper puff.  As a none smoker, my friend has every right to continue to live life on his terms, and I have nnnnnoooo, right To impede on that, none whatsoever. Him smoking, and me making him feel bad because we have different opinions, and made different choices, not fair. I would not have stood for that as a smoker and as a none smoker will not stand for it.  We are at different levels in life and for me to tell someone that I am better so stop and don't do this or that makes me worst than they are.  At least they do what they do, and not bother me, but my crazy behind is gonna tell them, as if Inhad the right, what to do, and make them choose being present with me and enjoying their time with a smoke or ailinating self from me or the cigarette. Wow what a friend.  Just as the choice is mine to be smokeless, it should be others who are still smoking their choice to smoke or not to smoke.  Maybe, just MAYBE, they will see that you did it and want to follow suit.  But just like no one was mad at you when you slipped up and returned to the land of low hanging man made clouds, your tolerance should show itself strong when it comes to who haven't gotten to the wonderful point you are at making the decision everyday, every hour, and every second of every minute not to tap on a rectangler box, or soft pack of white sticks, packing them tearing open the package smelling the caged nicotine, almost ripping one from the other nineteen, placing it on your lips, finding fire,,and burning the tip,as you drag in a single puff. Yeah we all remember what we use to do, and we are in a different place now. Our health, and person, are better for it, but we are not better people.  There are many great people who smoke.  I was one of them.  Now I don't smoke and I am still, one of the great.   TOLERANCE.. 

0 Kudos

I have an accurate number count on how many times I quit.

One more thing. Cigarette smoke poisons the air of everyone breathing it.

CDC - Fact Sheet - Health Effects of Secondhand Smoke - Smoking & Tobacco Use 

When does tolerance become stupidity???

The poison settles and remains on everything in an enclosed area.

Thirdhand smoke: What are the dangers to nonsmokers? - Mayo Clinic 

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

I live alone - so most of the time no one is looking.  And every day I choose to not smoke.  If I found myself in a risky situation where I was really tempted to pick one up and smoke it, I would do my best to remove myself from the situation/environment that triggered it.  Hope that you do the same.  PS - There is no such thing as just one for me or for most nicotine addicts.

BryantD

Thank you for your real answer. I am not sure why folk think of this as a test.  It is not.  Sometimes, people will backslide. Not all people will be like the folk who answered this post ( strong willed individuals).  I wanted to hear the honest truth, like you takplking to your best friend or .... God. And you have by leaps and bounds come the closes to that and I thank you     

0 Kudos
c2q

It depends on the friend. If I could, I would change the environment. I once asked a friend to take a walk with me, and to not smoke while we did. That was a great time. I largely avoided being around smokers completely. Good friends understood. Be upfront with your friend. Tell him you don't smoke anymore. 

BryantD

This is a novel idea, and I guess it is for those who need the extra will to get it done.  This is not for the two years or more crowd. 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I know in my heart that I am an addict, will always be an addict, and that there can never be such a thing as "just one": for me.  I also believe that, knowing how difficult the first days of a quit are, I probably would never be able to make myself begin again if I ruined this quit.  I know that if I go back to smoking, the health consequences would be dire.

Thus, I would remove myself from the situation.  I also now know how much cigarette smoke stinks on my person, and, unless I want to take a shower and wash my clothes, I just need to leave the room!

Honest!

Nancy