cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bonnie.s

What has helped???

I found these helpful during the first few weeks of my quit.   When the cravings where bad I'd look.  Besides this site (which of course is most helpful) what helped most early on?243442,xcitefun-antismoking-ads-19.jpg

7 Replies
Giulia

What helped most in the early days?  Didn't really matter as I had made a total commitment.  NOTHING would have made me smoke during the time period I set forth for the quit.  Lent - however many days it was at that time 11 years ago (40+ days) is what I committed to.   That inviolate commitment IS actually what helped the most.  If your commitment is total - the rest is kind of a secondary thing.  What helped most for me was agreeing to stop for a specified amount of time.  We're all different and approach our quits in different ways.  A set finite quit period was easier for me to adhere and agree to then just saying I'm quitting FOREVER!  So putting limitations on my quit time was a psychological tool that helped me.

I knew full well that if I actually adhered to my commitment of 40+ days, there is no way in hell I was going to just chuck it all away the day after my self agreed upon commitment time ended.  Having had a couple of quits in the past - I knew I never wanted to go through that Day One process again.  And that technique worked for me.  

On a secondary level, we need to combat the cravings.  And I did rely pretty heavily on "pretend" smoking straws.  And drinking a lot of water.  And taking a lot of slow deep breaths.  It wasn't until after I quit that I became acquainted with on-line support.  Once I was, I posted on a regular basis.  They didn't offer the kind of in-depth knowledge base support that is here on EX, (EX wasn't created until 2 years after I had quit), but at least I could communicate with others going through the process and that helped a LOT!  Just being able to complain and bitch and ask questions was a great help.  And equally so jumping in and offering support to others.  It's amazing how reinforcing that can be for newbies!  

bonnie.s

I agree!  I never want to go through the hell of those first few days again.  Thinking back on just how bad that was has kept me from having a relapse more than once.

0 Kudos

Learning what I was up against and researching the answers to my questions and possible excuses.

elvan

What helped me the most was learning about my addiction to nicotine and identifying just how strong it was.  Education, commitment, and support were equal in helping me with my quit.  I would have likely floundered without this site.

Ellen

shashort

What helped me was joining this community and educating myself as much as I could about nicotine and how it is killing me slowly.  Doing the daily pledge and holding hands kept my hand busy so I couldn't smoke.  I carry a water bottle every where I go. Taking walks and exercise really helped me in my beginning quit and of course all the great support here and blogging and heeding the elders advise. And I agree with above I DON'T WANT ANOTHER DAY ONE!!! NOPE keeps me focused.

elvan

bonnie.s‌ Drinking lots of water, sucking on Sour Patch Kids, paying close attention to the advice I got here and knowing that these people were doing everything they could to help me...they would advise putting your head in the freezer and looking around, bite into a lemon (rind and all), suck on an ice cube, take a shower, there were so many suggestions that I could not possibly keep track of them. I kept my quit in that moment and did not try to look ahead because I was just not capable of handling that.  No crave ever killed anyone, can't say the same thing about cigarettes.

Ellen

EXploring my Self as a Happy Quitter!