cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Angie-Lah

Stolen

My father was readmitted to the hospital last night. I won't rehash everything I've already said about his SCLC. It's in my blog. It's spread to his brain. His sodium levels have dropped to the point that he doesn't know who he is, or who we are. I've always written to work out the emotions that I struggle with, lately mostly having to do with him. I thought I'd share this here. I don't feel comfortable sharing it with loved ones yet. I don't want them to think I've given up on his fight, or have accepted a foregone conclusion, but I'd lose my mind if I didn't have some way to process this anticipatory grief. if you're on the fence, or struggling to quit, please find the strength to stay quit. It's never too late.

I do

Imbue It

With a sentient evil

A stranglehold of

Wispy

yet iron strong

tendrils

Smoke

Ephemeral

Layered clouds

slinking through open doors

but sticking to

grasping clawing sinking terminal nails

into the vital organs of the afflicted

Money. Greed. Profit.

But so much higher the cost

for the lung

in which it resides

The hooks sunk in the

sinews

the mind

the bones

so long before

its ever entwined itself

permanently among

the branches of a life

Weighted chains

Weakened Limbs

shortened breath

Breathe

gasping wandering eyes

the frustration of a life

chopped.

A sideways glance

as if it say, yes

but you did this

as though to say

culture and the money

thrown to encourage

*that blissful inhalation*

that toxic sludge

played no part

And now,

what does it matter

how it began.

Only how it ends.

Like this. A life

Stolen. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jbliesmer

Beautifully written Angie, you have a gift.

I am sorry about your father. I will be thinking of you during this certainly difficult time.

Angie-Lah

Thank you, it's been tough. We're hoping he recovers from this bout of lowered sodium and potassium but I think it's showing us all what lies in wait for us as this progresses.

0 Kudos
dwwms

My heart goes out to you. I watched my brother die 2 years ago at age 59 from liver cancer and I found myself at a loss for words what to tell his children only in their 20s. I cannot imagine how difficult it is for you. You are blessed that you have the ability to put your words down helping to work through the grief you're feeling.

Thank you for sharing your emotionally moving story that hopefully will touch others as it has me.

Doug

YoungAtHeart

My heart (and arms) go out to you.  May you find a bit of solace in the ending of his suffering, whenever that comes.

You will be in my thoughts.

Nancy

MarilynH

I'm sending you a loving, caring cyber hug along with prayers for you and your father, you really do have a gift with words. ♡