cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

VincentA

when/how to begin?

Cut back, then quit or cold turkey? I've smoked a pack a day for 39 years straight, never quit and not sure how to go about this. Any feedback from a long term smoker would be helpful.

Thank You

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Pops

Allright Vincent!!!!  If you only knew just how much valuable information you just tapped into this morning....wow!  You don't know me, and that's okay, but you know my story, as I know yours as well.  Yeah, we each have our own idiosyncrasies, but in the end...we are all the same....addicts trying to survive the lies that we have been living with for most of our lives.  The links you received, the suggestions, the names of the people who responded to your query...all of those things are now yours.  Think of them as tools.  Tools for you to carry around with you.  Get yourself a sturdy and easily carried toolbox and use it to keep those tools close by during your travels.  They just might, and often do....save lives.  Not smoking is not a task to be taken lightly.  At times it seems insurmountable in nature, and yet other times...it's almost like "what was I so worried about?  This is nothing!"  There will come a time when you are going to need help.  Please come and blog a plea for help.  Someone will be here for you....

Good luck to you,

I am Pops, feel free to reach out to me anytime...Pops

0 Kudos
Lauralives

Vincenta.  I'll be straight.  I've quit many times.  Used the patch mostly and it worked once for a year quit but I was never really committed, I guess.  This time I started with the patch but I get such a bad rash, I took it off and just bit the bullet.  It's not easy but you get the worst part over with right away and then it isn't prolonged and for me that has been really positive.  I did listen to Carr's book on audio and it just about drove me nuts but it must have planted a deep seed to help me realize some fundamental truths.  I wish you the very best.  Laura

0 Kudos
elvan

I smoked for 47 years with the exception of the times I quit for pregnancies...and some other short term quits that failed for any number of reasons.  I have been smoke free now for over 3 years and I did the reading, I prepared for my quit by tracking cigarettes and rating the triggers that accompanied my smoking, I PLANNED for what I would do instead of smoking when a trigger happened.  I gave up coffee for several weeks and drank green tea instead, I planned my life, I planned what I would do and how I would keep busy.  I came to this site every morning and every evening...some mornings I was late for work because I was reading the blogs and commenting.  I learned so much from the people here, I learned how THEY got through difficult times and I learned how important education about nicotine addiction is.  I am a retired nurse, I already KNEW what I was doing to myself even though I denied it.  I quit in January  of 2014 and had both of my upper lobes of my lungs removed in November of 2015 because the damage I had done was so severe that I was constantly short of breath.  Actually, removing the diseased tissue helped.  Not that I am in great shape now, I'm not, I have COPD and it is progressive, all I can do is to try to take care of myself by exercising, eating right, NOT smoking and avoiding things that make my breathing harder.  Thomas3.20.2010‌ has a COPD group where I have learned an enormous amount about what to expect and how I can make things better for me, not everyone who smoked even long term develops COPD, it is just ONE of many things we are at higher risk of developing...none of them are good.

Welcome to EX VincentA‌ you have come to the RIGHT place for education, support, love, friendship, and everything you could possibly need for a successful quit.

Ellen

0 Kudos

I think you are amazing! Thank you for coming here! Welcome!

The replies above me are awesome and informative. Read, prepare, Read, talk to people, make the commitment, stay close to your supports and away from triggers.

For me it took a long time to want to quit more than I wanted to smoke. I joined this site in 2008, and I practiced a lot before I figured it out. I had to WANT to quit. I had to KNOW that smoking didn't make anything better - not how I felt, not how I dealt with things - nothing. I think I would have gotten that sooner if I had stayed here and read more and relied on those who had walked the road before me.

You CAN do this! I know you can!

~Lisa

I have just not smoked every single day for 1315 days in a row.

0 Kudos
c2q

My mother had a saying, "try it on and see if it fits."

Can't decide which method to use to help ensure your quit is successful? Pick one. Now imagine you are quit. Imagine every little detail of facing a cigarette. Does the method you picked do the trick? If yes, great. If not, put it down and pick up another one.

If you have prepared yourself, have a plan and know where to get support, any method you pick will work just fine. Do it now.