cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

paula19

well here i am still missing them!!

for the last 40 days now i have smoked about 8 cigs total!! once in a while i lite up one half take a couple drags and then i am able to go to the bathroom. that is the biggest think i miss is smoking and coffe while in the bathroom. the coffee alone isn't enough!! other than that i used the nicotorl inhaler again to get through, i'm down to about 3 cartridges a day!! i puff on them after i eat or when i have a cup of coffee or just when i feel like i want a cig!! i would like to get off these completely too!! it's been so hard waking up knowing another day without a cig!! i hate it!! but i know i can't have them anymore!! and i don not want to attempt quitting again after all the times i have!! that is pure torture, and i will not torture myself again!! i still can't seem to accept the fact they are gone. i miss them everyday of my life. i keep saying life goes on without them!!! the weight gain has been about 8 pounds, but i hope that goes away!! but cigs are still on my mind at least 70 percent of the day!! is this still normal? and should i still have to use the nicotrol inhaler?, just to feel like im still smoking, or will that get me in more trouble in the end? i also need a lot of teeth work done since i chewed all the gum in the world and ate sticky chewy candies!! constantly still have to be doing something with the mouth!! the depression stays also. had to ditch the wellbutrin after 10 days because it made me hostil, angry and suicidal!! dangerous stuff for some people!! but it did help me with not wanting to eat or smoke as much!! but iwould of killed someone or myself had i stayed on it. i bet chantix has some of the same ingredients as zyban(wellbutrin)!! anyway will this all go away?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
paula19

no offense but these amts are so tiny that if they were not people would of died after 5 years of smoking!!! and some people don't even die from smoking after a lifetime!!! it's all a matter of getting addicted and wanting to quit bad enough that u will do anything to get it!! it's just now people are more aware of the problems smoking causes!! my main reasons for quitting are breathing, sore throats, headaches and money!!! everyone gets cancer of some sort. i'm sure i will still get cancer it runs all through my family!! that is not my reason for quitting!!! smoking bothers me, and that's the bottom line and when i think of what it does to me, it helps me cope. i picture myself smoking and i get a panic attack!! ihave lit up a few times in the past month and believe me what a trip!! one i did not enjoy!! actually lighting up a few times actually made me realize how much it does nothing except make my heart pound and make me sick!!! although a great laxative, and great weight reducer!! i do remember some of my friends starting smoking and they didn't like it so they didn't get addicted back when we were 12 yrs old!! that would of been nice to not of liked it then we wouldn't even be here!! after all if u don't like something u won't become addicted!! and if u have an addicting personality like me ur screwed!! i love my caffeine too!! but got rid of the coke and alcohol, and somewhat the gambling addiction that caused me a bankruptcy. hey were not perfect!! i am doing the best i can!! as i am sure everyone out here is!!
0 Kudos
larry12

Yes it is maddening. Rather than drive yourself nuts or give in... Try this. Breath, smile, and tell yourself it is OK if you do and OK if you don't.
At the end of the two seconds or so it took to do that look around you and see what has changed? Many people care, but you are alone. You are in control of you. You decide. All the others can leave. All the others can stay. No-one else really has to deal with it but you. No-one else really will help you stop and no-one else really can get it oout of your head.
So if you want to smoke make your peace and smoke. If you want to quit I know you will be able to. Just believe that it is OK if you go back to it for now and know you will try later.
If you want to learn how to quit and keep from starting again, then keep trying. If you think hypnosis will help then try it. Time does not always help everyone to forget or change.
I am sure you can quit.
0 Kudos
paula19

thank you it is okay i am only human!! thanks
0 Kudos
hothula

aloha paula, I am sorry you are having such a conflict with yourself, wanting to not smoke but feeling almost powerless to stay quit for long. I started smoking in the late 60's and that is when they put the labels on the sides that said it was unhealthy, but who listened and who really cared? I didn't want to quit. I don't think anybody that is really addicted 'wants" to quit. I did it for other reasons, my health, my husband. I don't buy you have to want to quit to be able to do it. I think if anyone wants to quit needs several things along with some luck, we all have a reasons. it could be sore throats or money or family. but the thing that makes it work is a combination of time put into the project, a real good quit plan, education about what to expect and then just being stubborn and not giving up on your self. the wanting to be a non smoker for me came much later. I read in your posts that you do have a strong will and thoughts on this subject. so I have no doubt that you could quit if you give your self the TIME it takes to get it done. a quit does not happen over night or even in a few weeks a quit takes months to really settle in and it sounds like you would prefer instant gratification. this is like a bad case of the flu it takes time. I am not a huge dr. phill fan, but he does say you do or think certain ways because it works for you, that you get something out of it even if it is negative. perhaps you are holding on to the idea this is way hard, or that it won't work for you, or that a few days here or there is better than nothing. because you have given up everything else and it seems unfair that you have to give this up too. your experience with your quit is unique to you, it is because it is you going through it, your life, your feelings. however all of us who quit experience great many of the same emotions and feelings, they are unique to us but they are the same for all of us. the unwillingness of your mind, the conflict you post about is your junkie talking. get control of it and you are more than half way there.
0 Kudos
linda20

HI! YOU CAN TAKE A MAGAZINE INTO THE BATHROOM WITH YOU FOR STARTERS. THAT MIGHT WORK.

YOU WILL NOT BE FREE UNTIL YOU STOP ALL INDUCTIONS OF NICOTINE AND THEN RIDE IT OUT. YOU ARE TORTURING YOURSELF OVER AND OVER BY TAKING THOSE PUFFS.

REWARD YOURSELF EACH SMOKEFREE WEEK OR MONTH. BUY YOURSELF A NEW INEXPENSIVE PIECE OF JEWELRY EVERY ANNIVERSARY.

CARRY A WATER BOTTLE AROUND WITH YOU. CARRY CINNAMON STICKS TO CHEW ON AND PLAY WITH.

THIS IS SO WORTH IT!
0 Kudos