cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mitchws1725

sugar substitute??

Good Morning!!

Great way to start the day - not smoking!!  I am on day 26 of my quit and I still feel like I want to smoke.

I sorta feel if someone came up to me and offered me a smoke I would take it.  Especially if I was in a

bar (which I have not been to).

I have gained almost 9 lbs. in 25 days which is a lot.  I feel like I might have substituted a sugar fix instead

of a cigarette fix.  I am eating candy and sweets like crazy.  Is this normal?  Has anyone else have this

happen?  Now I need to figure out how to get off sugar too.

Thanks all for listening to me.  Just to write this down has helped me realize this is a new issue I really

need to deal with.

Wendy

Tags (1)
17 Replies
mitchws1725

Thank you all for you support, words of encouragement and suggestions. I am making a list

of all the ideas.  I never thought of frozen fruit - sounds yummy.

Wendy

maryfreecig

Smobering up can be uncomfortable at times--here at Ex you can learn to let go--but some sugar (emotional eating) can be dealt with. First quitting --means, for most of us, we've got to face situations, feelings, stuff in the raw. Within 7 months I started dealing with my eating and weight gain--it worked out just fine. Quitting is so worth it. Yes you can, one day at a time.

Mary--6 years smober, 50,000 plus cigs not smoked, 18,000 bucks saved at the very least

MarilynH

I chomped on carrots and celery sticks plus I kept a bag of sugar free mints around in case of of any unforseen cravings when I was away from home.....

Barbscloud

Big congrats on your continued success.   You're doing fabulous.

Barb

MartyO

Keep up the good fight!!!!! B strong!

green1611

Congratulations on day 26 !

Understand you are gaining weight. And that is concern for you.

How about gaining confidence.. Surely you would gained a good confidence now after quit. That's important too.

Hope you will make sure substitute does not pull down your confidence. (i.e. Must not restart smoking)

All the best !

JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 26 days.  As you travel the road to freedom you will learn new things about yourself.  Quitting smoking opens the doors to an awareness that was covered up in smoke.  I would suggest if you can that you become a little more active to balance things out.  It is easier to do something you like.  I enjoyed walking. I remember it was cold in my early days.  I took a walk and I have been walking, running ever since.  Never give up Change those sweets to healthy treats. 

SuzyQ411

Give yourself a pat on the back for your success of being 26deep breathing.gif days smoke-free!

Many have suggested deep breathing exercises to put a stop to cravings, See if this exercise helps you. Also, I have read a number of places that craving a cigarette may be expressed in our bodies as hunger and can lead to that excessive intake of calories.

So perhaps trying this visual deep breathing exercise when you are craving food may work to take away what's causing that crave- your underlying crave for nicotine from your addiction.

Best wishes ~ Hang in there mitchws1725 Blog

0 Kudos