cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

julie36

stress of quitting

Ok, this might sound silly or excuse making, but has anyone else wondered what the shock of quitting may have on a body?

We always hear about the side effects of stress. What if the dangers of smoking aren't as bad as the stress from quitting?

P.S. I think I am safe in saying there has never been a study done on this.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
suzzy12345

Interesting....never thought about the shock of quitting to the body.....I do know what will happen to the body if I do not quit. In knowing the latter of the two.....I am more then willing to deal with the shock of quitting to the body....bring it on!
0 Kudos
candice-smith

i can always take a nerve pill for the stress , i cant replace my lungs!!
0 Kudos
cindy25

Yeah, I don't think there has been a study on this. If so, it would be right up there with the study of using Heroin to relieve boredom at work....or using a lawnmower to cut your own hair.....
0 Kudos
kalaine

Do you mean physiological stress or physical stress? There are things that your body goes through and, pretty rapidly. Parts of your digestive process becomes dependent on the drugs and become a little sluggish through the initial quit, one of the chemicals in your brain (the one that makes you happy) becomes dependent, too. I think that's why some of the anti-depressants are helpful to some people (like me). Nicotine robs your cells of water and they become hydrated which could give a person a temporary bloated look.

I did some initial 'what am I doing to my body' investigating and only save a couple of links but, here's an article that talks about all of the diseases related to smoking: http://www.dailypress.com/features/health/dp-life_smoking_0514may14... .

I think that the benefits of quitting really out weigh the stress that you'll put on you body.
0 Kudos