cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

SuzyQ411

" I'M LATE, I'M LATE, FOR A VERY IMPORTANT DATE!"

You may remember the title of this entry from Alice in Wonderland~ as spoken by White Rabbit~ and it just seems to fit the bill for me at this time. You see, I've had the craziest day and now at 10:30 PM I am finally getting to my e-mails and the EX site. I have missed my usual morning "date" with the EX.

But I want to be sure I post my stats and my commitment to stay quit. 

I'm going to change the routine a bit by taking the hand of someone in particular to make my formal pledge to not smoke today because I have missed her and I see she has returned to the site. And so, I take your hand PastTense‌ and agree with you to not smoke even one little puff today.

I also want to shout out that today is my 87th day fully- free of cigarettes; that means I have not smoked a total of 1,305 cigarettes since my current quit on January 6, 2020.

That doesn't mean that I'm free from cravings, because I'm not. And, it doesn't mean I am happy about the additional 5# that I've gained, because I'm not.

But, it does mean that I am sticking with my plan to live a cigarette-free life... In order to help me prevent having a stroke.... And, well, to just smell better....

I also want to share just a little bit of humor for those reading this little note that speaks of how my life has changed during these times of peril:

Yup, that was me at the cashier's counter!

Stay tobacco free, healthy and happy.

~Suzy

Tags (1)
11 Replies
Kdot1st

I'm only at 32 days today so I'm still highly in awe of you. 

I don't know what instacart is. Hafta look it up. 

Sadly I can't eat carrots or anything hard but I eat lots of grapes. Probably doesn't counter the 8 movie size boxes of Junior Mints I've eaten though.

Lost 45 & only gained back 18? Sounds great to me. Only time I ever lost 45 lbs was after 1 of my children was born. I kept 25 lbs after the other 3. I have lost 25 lbs a few times over the last 35 years but always gained it back with bonus. I've always been past overweight, although I prefer saying I'm fluffy. 

I only smoked 48 years & never smoked more than 5 packs a week, mostly less. I didn't think it would be this hard. I have much respect for what you've done. 

Karen

SuzyQ411

Thank you, Karen, for your message of support and encouragement. To be honest, I lost the 45# from a severe bout with gastritis! They kept doing all sorts of (expensive) testing and finally caught the culprit. Truthfully, I was afraid I had cancer somewhere so Thank God!!  all those tests came back cancer-free.

In return, I give YOU so much credit for having 32 smoke-free days under you belt. Many--including me in my past attempts to quit-- crumble by day 3. Those first three days are so hard; and you got through them!!

You are right; it is hard. I still have daily cravings but I have decided not to ever smoke again no matter what life throws at me. This is a major tool I use to keep going with my quit.

Actually, you and I -- and anyone between 30 and 130 days of their quit--are in an area called no Man's Land which calls for extra vigilance and commitment to our quits. I share the following blog post just to educate-- and arm you-- NOT to scare you. 

We each need to just keep on keeping one. And post for help when we need support and guidance!

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr...

There are a number of available posts on this subject which can be found through your homepage. 

Hang in there!

~Suzy