cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mehlisue

quitting smoking and physical reactions ?

Dr. Hurt, I get very dizzy when I do not have a cig for six hours.  I also start to dry cough.

How long does tghis dizzy feeling stay and why does it happen?  Is there anything that can be done to help this?

The dry cough, is that the beginning of the lungs trying to start to clean themself out?

Any suggestions on a aid for this.

Thanks Mehlisue

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Hi, Mehlisue! I'm not the Doctor but I have learned a lot about nicotine addiction. The dizziness is a natural part of quitting and is caused by your body searching for it's New Normal. One thing you can do that will help is to drink cranberry juice. That will help stabilize your blood sugar level. Also, cutting your caffeine in half will help because the affects of caffeine are magnified during withdrawal. Physical withdrawal lasts about 3 days but then the real challenge begins - mental withdrawal! That takes learning a whole new way of living and how long it lasts depends on you. Find out more in the Blogs where the Community at Large hangs out. We're here to help you! Today I'm celebrating 626 Smoke Free days. I was no different from you! If I can quit then you can too!
0 Kudos
mehlisue

Thank you Thomas.  I am looking forward to the "New Normal" even if it means I must stand the dizzy for a few days.

I like the Cranberry suggestion.  IT is a great cleanser and will cause me to flush out toxic threw the kidney.

I con't drink Cafeine at all, not even in tea so that is not a issue.

I do know about the mental, my past attemps went sour about day 14 or around other smokers. This time I may be able to do it even with other smokers in the house.

Congrads on the 626. I look forward to be able to reach that day drug free myself.

I have faced the fact I am a addict to nicotine and it is a drug.

I have found wonderful advice here and great things to read in research.

My stop day is Dec 31st and I am looking forward to a new year.

Thanks Thomas

Mehlisue

0 Kudos
dragulae

Congratulations Mehlisue! Its very difficult to accomplish what you have accomplished so far. Realizing you are an addict, and niccotine is a drug will help you further along. Also, dont forget to write down the reasons why you are quitting, your possible danger zones, and a plan to get you through your danger zones will help you in the new year. I'm celebrating my 9th month of being smoke free. When I started out, it seemed harder than it really is, but with proper planning, determination, and some support, you will be ringing in the new year smoke free. My suggestion: get some hard candy or gum, or some other small and chewable snack to help you through the first few weeks. That really does help. The way I mentally broke the chain was I kept telling myself that I was trading one habit of smoking for another that was chewing. That really helped.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos