cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

terri7

quitting after smoking for a long time

Hi,
I would just like to learn some statistics about cancer after quitting. My Daddy quit in 2002, after amoking for over 40 years. He was diagnosed with cancer on July 3rd 2006, his birthday was July 15th, an he died July18th. He was not the fist person I have heard of that died shortly after quitting smoking. I have als heard that quitting after a lot of years of amoking puts your body (system) in a shock and helps those cancer cells to grow and accelerate. I just want to know what to do
Terri
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jessica17

It is better to quit now and than to think you will live longer smoking. The truth is, it takes time for the lungs to heal. There was an article in Readers Digest a couple of years ago that said that after 10 years of not smoking, you were about half as likely to get lung cancer as a smoker. I am not sure if I am remembering the stats right, but I know that it is a long time before you are completly healed, something like 20 years. And you can get lung cancer as a non smoker too! The real truth is that we don't know when or how we are going to die, but we can certainly try to beat this bear that is trying to help speed it up! If you are a smoker, quit. And if your not, don't start. 1 out of every 2 smokers die from lung cancer. The rest die of emphasemia, heart disease, or a different cancer. Smoking will kill you. That's a fact. -Jess
0 Kudos
Giulia

Hey Terri.

What you do is stop smoking and stop making excuses why you shouldn't. There are always gonna be stories like that. Of people who smoked all their lives and were 89 years old and never got cancer. Those are the exceptions, not the norm. Here's the real story:

--------------------------------
AFTER QUITTING…

YOUR BODY BEGINS TO REPAIR ITSELF AS SOON AS YOU STOP SMOKING

20 minutes after quitting…
blood pressure and pulse rates drop to normal, and temperature to hands and feet return to normal.

8 hours after quitting…
carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal and oxygen level increases.

24 hours after quitting…
the chance of heart attack decreases.

2 weeks-3 months after quitting…
circulation improves and lung function increases up to 30%.

1-9 months after quitting…
coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath decrease; cilia regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs and reduce infection.

1 year after quitting…
The chance of having a heart attack is cut in half.

5 years after quitting…
stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker.

10 years after quitting…
lung cancer death rate is about half that of a continuing smoker’s. Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney. And pancreas decreases.

15 years after quitting…
coronary heart disease risk is that of a nonsmoker.

© 1999 American Cancer Society

---------------------------
Believe it.

Giulia (2 years +)
0 Kudos
terri7

Thank you soooooo much for this comment. I just have been so torn as far as what to believe or think. Bottom Line is.....I want to live, I want to ejoy everything there is o enjoy, especially my grandkids. So I will do more to try to quit, it's just so freaky and sad about my Daddy, he wanted all this too.I am so glad for you and the others here to help me. I;m sure I will need you all more in the next few weeks and months.
Thank you, Doreen
Terri
0 Kudos
terri7

Actuelly........
Thank you all so much for your information, experiences and input. I really do appreciate all of the information I can get.
Thanks so much,
Terri
0 Kudos
tam3

I've been trying to quit smoking for 2 years d/ t health issues after smoking for 21 years. I feel so stupid because I keep smoking, BUT I am going to try harder, you guys are great!!!Thanks for the boost!!!!
0 Kudos