cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JHamilton1990

patch along with lozenge/gum

Has anyone used the patch and gum or lozenge together, my quit date is 8 days away and was wondering if this would help or if I should avoid doing it?

26 Replies

People who can't get off NRT's usually have CONVINCED THEMSELVES they will go back to smoking if they get off them, then, in time, they become comfortably numb to the reality of what they've done.

Put one in my wallet too; that's how I ended up with my daughter.

= P

gregp136

You are suppose to take it out of your wallet at an appropriate time....

0 Kudos

I did!  I did!  It was dark ... and I was in a hurry!

pastedImage_3.jpg

0 Kudos
Christophina

Do you know the song about the old woman who swallowed a fly and then a spider to catch the fly etc?

That's me!

You ask if you should avoid gum and lozenges? Simple answer would be yes.

If you possibly can. 

If you choose NRT I would say avoid the gum.  I spent a fortune on it and dentists bills over the years.  Also, chewing is an ugly habit.

Any NRT delivers nicotine to your body so use it to give up smoking only....not as long term replacement like me.

I came here a few weeks ago looking for ways to give up the gum. I managed that with lozenges. I gave up the lozenges with patches (hence the reference to the song)...good advice here was to use a low dose nrt mouth spray or frozen grape for the moments of intense craving whilst using patches. Definitely not a gum and lozenge combo. 

I am still humming the song and educating myself on this brilliant site. Am looking at oral fixation and how to break habits and ooo am off to a pilates class in a minute.

Good luck, be strong, focussed and determined.

0 Kudos
Christophina

PS my NRT quit date is 21st May.....hopefully this year!

0 Kudos
pongaselo

Read the English guy's book. Nicotine addiction is really not the problem. Its the combination of  Behavioral triggers and rewards that you have been wallowing in. Those are dangerous and  very challenging to get around.  The physical nicotine withdrawal is easy to work around.  Just be damned careful about those triggers because they are both psychologically and physically tied to nicotine and the rewards stuff.  You can put the nicotine down. That's not so hard. Telling yourself that you intend to stay in a Triggers/Rewards cycle is the same as arranging for your quit to be as hard as you can imagine.  Read some of these books on the Triggers/Rewards stuff. That is the big deal and the key to a successful quit.  I would love to see the numbers on successful quits when evaluated by how the quit was approached, how the individuals successfully quit. I am convinced that nicotine substitutes create many more problems than they solve. If you could go out and buy something that would cure you, don't you think the Tobacco scum would have bought the patent rights and buried it under some mountain somewhere. This is a forum of opinions and mine is simple. NO Chemical, drug or nicotine source can be used to cure a nicotine addiction. Smoking does NOT create a nicotine addiction. It creates an extremely complex Triggers / Rewards behavior system that is reinforced by nicotine and how it affects your body.  Study Up like everyone says.  That is what you need, not a better gum / patch recipe.