cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

steve29

my life sucks

This may sound wierd but I'm quitting because I can't deal with all the bitching from my wife and kids. What makes it tougher is that I'm self employed and there has been no work in months, no jobs available, debt up to my ass. I'm looking for work a maybe a job with another company but all I keep getting is that I'm overqualified for everything I'm trying for. (apparently there is nothing out there yet that I do qualify for) Y'know if cancer would kill me quickly I think I'd just smoke alot more, but alas the thought of lingering in a hospital with lung cancer (no I don't have it but it would be just my luck to get it) anyway, I don't know why I'm telling a bunch of stranger this but I've got no one else to talk to...
0 Kudos
26 Replies
becky16

If you have no empathy for others, why would you expect empathy for yourself? I know one thing, Steve, if everyone put their troubles on a table and offered someone else's troubles, we would all take our own back. Even though you could care less about other people's troubles, we all care about yours. What does that mean to you?
0 Kudos
steve29

I guess I made a mistake. I am not in a good state of mind at present. I apologize for wasting all of your time. I wish you all well with your endeavor. Bye
0 Kudos
stan2

Welcome to the real world. "Overqualified"...How old are you? It's something used towards older employees.
As for quitting. Go for it. Do some walking, chomping on veggies, and keep yourself busy. Those people harping at you need to know you're quitting, and get behind you. You also need a quit buddie. Someone who's in the same boat and trying to quit. It's a lot easier when you can feed off each other.
0 Kudos
deb24

I don't know what you do for a living but there's work out there. In the interim quitting smoking, beyond the obvious health benefits to your and your family, is a no brainer. You can't 'afford' the financial drain of this nicodemon. When you toss them keep congratulating yourself!! It's not easy - you're a superstar! Find ALL the great attributes you have. Make a list of the GOOD in your life and focus on that. Remember to be thankful for all the good. The bad will pass - I've been there and it just about ruined us financially but 10 years later it's a lesson well learned and a memory of strength of the human spirit. Take advantage of every little bit of help you can find. You're not a loser, you're going through a rough patch. And while you're waiting for that job keep busy. Mow lawns or whatever will bring in some bits of cash. I'm sure you're taking advantage of the job research and posting sites and your resume is up to date.... You can do this and you can do it without the nicodemon. Vent, vent, vent - bitch, moan, scream, cry, yell, yell some more then get moving into your future. You have a family - a wife and children. You are so blessed!
0 Kudos
jim23

Cindy, I'm not "lurker" (LOL) I read the posts to prepare and inspire me to quit this nasty habit. I do notice more ladies on here and wonder in today's world of equality why men decide to keep a tight upper lip on their needs. I believe we all need support and help when it comes to quiting the nicotine habit.
Thanks for reading and being a part of my preparation
0 Kudos
christine2007

Thoughts become things, my friend. Sounds like we've all been where you are. Does it help to hear us say it is actually going to get better? Probably not. But, that "I'd toss the towel in" feeling isn't going to be a friend to you.

If you want tomorrow to be a better day... then will it to be so. You've already started on an incredibly positive journey to toss the butts. Not only will it save you money you don't have just yet, but it's going to improve your health and your outlook.

It's time to start believing in your dream. That's the only way it will happen. Good, good luck to you! You can do this!
0 Kudos
christine2007

Good response Becky... but I think the reason there are more women on this site than men is the TOPIC... quitting smoking... a health issue. I'm on other sites and see plenty of men sharing information and participating... I have got to believe it's the issue.

Society still hold the outdated notion that men have to appear stronger than women. So, asking for help and information goes counter to those old notions. Only enlightened geniune men are seekers here. (Feel better Jim?) 😃 More and more men are starting to control over their health issues and I think this site will see more and more men participating.

It could also be that there are fewer men quitting... they do have a lower life expectancy than women... just a thought. And, women are being pounded constantly that smoking is a contributing factor in breast cancer and other forms of cancer that are relative only to women.
0 Kudos
christine2007

Sherry, you are absolutely right.. he should do it for himself and when turned down, "IF" that happens again... he should tell them he needs the work, will work better than anyone else they could hire or consider and will stay to get the job done. Period. If he looks an employer in the eye with that determination... he'll get hired and then some.
0 Kudos
dawn-smith

Hi Steve, Most of us have been in the " quit for someone else" stage and for me it never worked. But I did decide that it would be the best thing for ME!! I just want to let you know if ya wanna vent I'll be here to listen. There are some really great ;isteners on this site!!!
0 Kudos
becky16

Hiya Jim,
I've been wondering the same thing....perhaps it's because men still see themselves as the stronger sex and can't admit that they need the help. I also think part of it has to do with most men not being able to express their emotions the way women can. I wish more would get on here like you and a few others who try to express what they feel. It would help the newbie male smokers who get on here. I'm glad your not a lurker LOL! I haven't felt there are male lurkers on this site. I feel that we are all here for the same purpose to reach our goal of quitting smoking!
HAVE A GREAT SMOKE FREE DAY, JIM!
0 Kudos