cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

medication

I really can't use the smoke free medications at this time. I have no health insurance and am living on a fixed income. Does anyone know of any thing else (re: vitamin supplement) that could help
0 Kudos
8 Replies
rachel7

I found an ad in the newspaper and found a program at our local hospital. We had meetings every Friday night and the medicine was free. You should do some research in your area. Maybe you will find something.
0 Kudos
a.d.

I went cold turkey for the same reason and I personally think it's the best way to really get clean from nicotine.
0 Kudos

This is the way I will try to go. Wish me luck and thank you for your input
0 Kudos
a.d.

I wish you all the best, and it's not just luck. Here are some educational resources:

http://www.whyquit.com/
http://www.quitsmokingonline.com/
The Easy Way to Stop Smoking

and some member pages with good stuff:
hwc
Peggy
Papa Jimmy
0 Kudos

Thank you again for all the good information
0 Kudos
leslie15

Some states Health Departments give away free nicotine replacement supplies - patches, gum, lozenges. Try calling your Ohio Dept of Health - if they don't do it ASK them if they know who does. Ask them to send you BOTH the patches and also lozenges (or the gum if you think you'd prefer it). Tell them that you want to try the patch but are not sure if you will be "allergic" to it or it might itch. That way if the patch itches and you can't wear it, you will have the lozenges to fall back on. And you won't have to call them back and try to get help real quick. You don't have to use this method however. It is very possible to quit cold turkey. It is the fastest way to get nicotine out of your system.
Also drink lots of healthy fluids to help flush the nicotine and toxins out of your body - water, fruit juices, herbal tea, also there's a tea Yogi DeTox tea available in grocery stores that tastes good and is supposed to speed toxins out of your body.
Wish you well. Keep posting. Let us know how it is going!
Leslie - day 61 smoke free
0 Kudos

"In Iowa we have QuitlineIowa. They don't pass out the medication, but they will provide 2 weeks' of nicotine replacement that may help you while you're trying to learn new habits." Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW, (1-800-784-8669) They may be able to refer you to someone in your area!"

Since this was first posted in April, I hope you have found some way to get you started on cessation!

0 Kudos

being mentally prepared is the only medication one will ever need.

no drug or book is going to help someone.

you have to want to quit.

think of the savings, $5 per pack, 1 pack per day = $1825 per year, thats $150 a month.

If you have health insurance see if they also offer a discount.

Don't let those little cigs control your life.

best of luck in your journey to tobacco freedom..............

0 Kudos