cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

marilyn26

maybe im being dramatic....

but did anyone else find themselves NOT even wanting to leave the house? lol
Just the thought of getting my my car and driving somewhere seems pointless if i cant smoke and have a coffee at the same time.

i find that before i quit, im always geared up, then when the time actually comes after a day im like 'why am i doing this to myself? i love smoking.' LOL This time im planning on making it stick though, i have a feeling this website is going to help me out A LOT!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
nan7

It took me about 2-3 weeks before I had the courage to go shopping. I think I was fearful of handling the world without a smoke. Fearful of driving the car without a smoke. Who was I, anyway? BUT, once I went, it was really fun. I didn't even miss the smoke. I just felt like a regular person - WOW, what a concept. I think the "smoking straw" is a great aid at any time.
0 Kudos
rj_

I'm cold turkey almost a year from 2+ packs a day,
you will reach a comfort level, and believe me coffee, beer, food, driving, fishing, exercise, anything is just as good or better without the nicotine in your blood, and the side effects of the smoke killing you.

take a look at whyquit.com, an educated cold turkey quit worked for me and thousands of others.

RJW Free at last 359 days after 32 years, saving 49 days of life and $3,282.60, not inhailing death 14,375 times, one day at a time by sticking to a personal commitment to Never take another puff, not one puff ever
0 Kudos
rj_

Smokinc/nicotine cessation relates to the 5 staged of grief, Anger, denial, barganing, depression, acceptance.

Those who successfully overcome denial progress to anger. We hear so many stories of how difficult it is to live with a recovering smoker. Your friends avoid you, your employer sends you home, sometimes permanently, and you are generally no fun to be with. Most smokers do successfully beat this stage.

Bargaining is probably the most dangerous stage in the effort to stop smoking. "Oh boy, I could sneak this one and nobody will ever know it." "Things are really tough today, I will just have one to help me over this problem, no more after that." "Maybe I'll just smoke today, and quit again tomorrow." It may be months before these people even attempt to quit again.

Depression usually follows once you successfully overcome bargaining without taking that first drag. For the first time you start to believe you may actually quit smoking. But instead of being overjoyed, you start to feel like you are giving up your best friend. You remember the good times with cigarettes and disregard the detrimental effects of this dangerous and dirty habit and addiction. At this point more than ever "one day at a time" becomes a life saver. Because tomorrow may bring acceptance.

Once you reach the stage of acceptance, you get a true perspective of what smoking was doing to you and what not smoking can do for you. Within two weeks the addiction is broken and, hopefully, the stages are successfully overcome and, finally, life goes on.

Life becomes much simpler, happier and more manageable as an ex-smoker. Your self esteem is greatly boosted. Your physical state is much better than it would ever have been if you continued to smoke. It is a marvelous state of freedom. Anyone can break the addiction and beat the stages. Then all you must do to maintain this freedom is simply remember - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!
0 Kudos
edith2

Do I have to come up there are kick you out of your house ? hahahahha! You live in one of the most BEAUTIFUL cities in North America! This is an addiction that tells us we don't have one. Don't let it con you into walking away from your goal. You can still drink coffee. It may be hard at first because it's a trigger, but soon it won't even bother you. Gosh, if I were up there, I'd say, "hey man! Let's run down to Horseshoe Bay!" How much are cigarettes up there now? A pack of my old brand at 7-11 is now 7.65 a pack! Dayum! Think of all the money you'll save from not smoking to go to concerts at the MGM Grand and the Queenie Theatre!
0 Kudos
babs77

I think many people early in their quit kind of shelter themselves from the world around them and spend a lot of time alone. I know that was the case for me and you can see others have said the same.

Habits that have been ingrained in you for years have to be broken Turn the ignition in the car = light a smoke. Pick up the phone = light a smoke. Have a drink with friends = light a smoke.

I remember the first time i ventured out to the mall and walked by a group of people standing outside smoking. I felt so high on life by not having to be in that crowd anymore. It put a happy little skip to the step!

You'll soon discover how much of your TIME smoking was consuming and how much more free time you now have. You will get there; you just have to take it one day at a time.
0 Kudos
marilyn26

"Bargaining is probably the most dangerous stage in the effort to stop smoking. "Oh boy, I could sneak this one and nobody will ever know it." "Things are really tough today, I will just have one to help me over this problem, no more after that." "Maybe I'll just smoke today, and quit again tomorrow." It may be months before these people even attempt to quit again."

Thats what has happened to me right now. Doing the, ill smoke today then just start quitting again tomarrow..needless to say..that tomarrow has come and passed. im going to pick a new start date though and try really hard again. nevermind not WANTING to leave the house..i NEED to not leave the house. thats my downfall. lol
0 Kudos