cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

traceylyn

i relapsed after a year non smoking

A certain friend is the nervous type and chain smokes i allowed him to stay a week and i relapsed.its happen in the past around this person.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
pongaselo

That is so funny. Especially since, our failures in completely quitting are such self indulgant whining appeals for attention and sympathy. 

0 Kudos
Tommym

As a sober alcoholic three answers come to mind.

PEOPLE, PLACES AND THINGS ! 

Essentially, you're saying 'nouns' are her triggers.

petbo5

I'm new here and only 10 days in, however, I've been where you're at, I needed to hear this.  So thank you for sharing.  I have quit several times, and one time it was after a year also.  I know how you feel. But every time I quit I picked up something valuable for the next quit.  One thing I know for sure,  It only takes one.  I hope you continue to try. 

elvan

petbo5‌ Hence the acronym: N.O.P.E.  I used it over and over again, this is the longest quit I have had and I am LOVING it!

breathefree

We all know that relapse happens, probably all of us have been there done that, don't beat yourself up!! You are quitting for you and we are here to support you in that.  Learn from your relapse and make sure you know the trigger that got you back to the cigarette so you don't have to repeat that.  Get out the tools you have learnt and start again, we all only have today, I have 10 this time and I have had many 10's in the past but his time I'm ready for the triggers, I have a plan and that is the difference for me this time.  Please start again and come back.. 

you allowed yourself to smoke.  The first six months, I stayed away from people that smoked.  I had to because I knew that chance of relapsing was there.  after that, the first encounter was tough but I made it through.  Come to the realization that you'll always want to smoke, you just have to choose not to.  I now have a smoker living in my house again.  She's not allowed to smoke in my house.  I could very easily sneak into her purse and take a cigarette, but why?  it's just something I used to do.  Perhaps you relapse around him or her because somehow you feel you share a bond through smoking, I don't know.  I have friends that come over that smoke.  They go outside and have their cigarettes and I stay in the house.  I don't need to be around it anymore.  You have to make that choice and stick with it

prjimm01

I would call this a minor excursion.  go back to being you and move on.  No big deal my friend. You know better now.  Mistakes happen.  Thanks for sharing.

NOPE for a reason!

SINAO EVER!

0 Kudos
aztec

i use to quit for a year and then go back to it, I worked a couple programs , used nrts for a year because I

was afraid I would relapse again, I had a nice counselor and this site.

My husband quit for 6 months and that helped , then he went back to smoking and I didn't, I used the tools I learned here.

I read everything I could read on quitting smoking and the side effects. I went to lungusa, the cancer society., whyquit.com,

and I stayed active here for years. I can't get complacent. Now i feel sorry for smokers, My husband since has taken up vaping. It is much better than his smoking.

I know how important good friends are, I think the smoking outside would help.

i don't need the deadly dopamine fix anymore, I can get great neurotranmitters from exercise.

I hope you can get some hobbies to busy yourself.

you can do this, you did it for a year.

don't beat yourself up over it. Just start again.

go to www.whyquit.com and check out joles pod casts,

surround yourself with positive people that can reciprocate your friendship in health.

if this person is very important to you and vice versa, have them smoke outside.

I would rather breathe than smoke, I don't have to do that to myself anymore.

You can be a great example to your friend,

Get some knowledge behind you , listen to the elders.

carry a picture of you and your family around, My major reason for smoking was that I didn't want my son to see me die of a smoking related disease. I eventually applied it to myself. my son and my famiily are proud of me now. it wasn't easy the first 2 years but it goes by fast once you commit. You have to realize that smoking stops breathing in the long run.

I don't know if you have ever seen a long time smoker struggling to breath and the horid cough they have. I have.

My grandpa died of emphsema. He was my role model for smoking , since I was so young. I thot by smoking I could somehow have a link to him , to carry it on, that was before I learned about the 4, 000 chemicals in cigarettes, and the tole it takes on our whole bodies ,not just our lungs.

I hope you don't beat yourself up over your relapse and by the time you read this, you can be on your way to a reward from the money you saved, I rewarded myself for a couple months and then went to a year. Don't be cheap, start a nice collection of small beautiful things, a new coat, a new pet that you don't want to smoke on., use your imagination, maybe a gym membership . anything you really want.

I could go n and on, its nice to see your blog. ride the train.!

namaste

aztec

yes < I took up yoga , I am gettin gback to it.