cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

apaige4913

how do I still get a break

I use cigarettes as an escape a way to get five seconds to myself. How do I still get that much needed space, people are okay with you taking a smoke break but of you say I need to take a me break for 2 minutes at work people get upset. Same at home its one thing to take a break where it looks like you're doing something but to say I need space that is frowned at. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
gregp136

Yes, I agree 100%  I made sure I still took my breaks, but instead of standing with the smokers, I walked around the block, breathing deeply.  And yes, I did it when stressed, and when I would have normally for smoking.  No one was going to cut into my free time!!!!

freeneasy

Continuing to smoke because you think that's the only way people at work respect your need to take a  break is really just an excuse to smoke.  

Look around you. Not everybody smokes (actually less than 1 in 5 people smoke. So how are those other 4 getting their breaks? Some just eat. Others go for walks. There are people who read books, play games on their telephone, do crossword and sudoku, play spinners fidget, write poetry, color adult coloring books, read magazines, make grocery lists, or just hang out and talk to their coworkers. Spend some time watching people who don't smoke and make a list of what appeals to you.

I had the same worry so I chose to just skip my breaks and keep working. My boss liked that one!

You can do this!

elvan

I MADE myself go outside and take deep breaths, I MADE myself separate from other people and work...I didn't go with smokers, I went by myself and I didn't feel a need to explain that to anyone.  I would just say, "I'll be right back."  You don't have to explain to anyone that you need a break...to think that it is MORE acceptable to take a break to SMOKE is just sad...perhaps you should tell the people you feel that you have to explain to how you feel....don't give up a quit because you need a break.  I HAD to remove myself from people, places, and things to get that feeling.  LET THEM FROWN...that's THEIR problem, not yours.

Welcome to EX, we are here to help.  How long have you been quit?

Ellen

Daniela2016

Much like Greg, at the beginning, I took walks around the building, and practiced deep breathing.  If I stepped out because I was stressed, extra-oxygen to my brain really did me good.  Unfortunately my job is pretty demanding, and as I became a comfortable EX, I sometimes forget to take breaks, but you should make it a priority, especially at the beginning. I still walk on breaks occasionally, but mostly I'll go sit on a bench, watch people, birds, butterflies, or even smokers.  If I can't get out because it is stinging hot right now (117-120 degrees the last week or so), I just walk outside the office and hang out by the elevators, playing on the phone.

Diannnnn

I have been thinking about this one a lot since one of my triggers is stress. I usually take a smoke break to walk away for a few minutes and collect my thoughts. I have been coming up with and trying alternatives like stepping outside to just breath, doing some yoga, or hiding in the upstairs bathroom. I am caregiver to my nephews ages 5-10, so it can be tough to get those few minutes sometimes. I have even thought of getting a punching bag, but haven't decided yet. 

I say explain to them once why you are taking breaks. If they still frown, it's not your problem, it's theirs! It has been a bit since I have been out in the workforce, but think about how much time is lost to gossip, office politics and folks doing personal stuff on company time. I'd bet that hasn't changed much in 10 years!

Remember that a non-smoking you is better for you and everyone around you!

Just my opinion,

Dian

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Getting away from it all, from everyone for a few minutes, for a day, for an hour, for whatever time...is normal.

I ran to a cigarette every time I did because I was hooked. Relearning life without the cigarettes was what I needed to do no matter what my urge to smoke was...(angry, sad, need to relax, take a break).

Relearning life without the smokes is a one day at a time, one step at a time process. First days of quitting are mostly about staying away from the smokes no-matter what. 

When I quit, I felt uneasy--and I did not have all the answers to quitting that I wished I had--I was quitting an addiction, a powerful dependency and it took facing some discomfort to get through some days. I'm still relearning life without the smokes, but not smoking is natural and it does get easier.

Learn, about the addiction, read, read blogs, make a plan, prepare...build up your faith in yourself that you can do this. Because, yes you can quit, and you can relearn life.

Glad you are here. Thanks for bringing up your question.

Ready2021

I still take breaks and people think Im still smoking NOT Im deserve my breaks still

jbliesmer

I take walks. inside or outside, but I still get away.