cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

taja

how can i stop myself from smoking?

i am very tired of this being an issue for me, i can't afford it and i hate that i continue to smoke. i just want to stop and be that person that didn't depend on a cigarette
0 Kudos
8 Replies
hwc

The issue is nicotine addiction. You are a drug addict who centers your entire life around administering a drug 7500 times per year (if you smoke a pack a day).

The actual mechanism for stopping smoking is simple. You just don't buy cigarettes. Don't light a cigarette. Don't put it to your lips. Never take another puff and you are 100% guaranteed to be a successful, permanent non-smoker. Trust me, everything about being a non-smoker is glorious compared to smoking. And, I know. I smoked for 38 years.

The problem is that you are going to have to pay a price to quit. Think of it like a broken arm. Hurts like heck at first, probably bothers you for a month or two. You know, however, that it is healing and will eventually be as good as new. Same thing with quitting smoking.

Quitting isn't half as bad as imagining what quitting will be like. You just educate yourself about what to expect, get ready with some easy tricks to overcome a crave, and then make a personal committment to never take another puff. Each hour makes the next hour easier. Each day makes the next day easier. Each week makes the next week easier.
0 Kudos
bridget4

HI Taja - I also recommend reading The EasyWay to stop smoking by Allen Carr. It is a great book that will change the way you think about smoking. It worked wonders for me and you will hear lots of others talk about it on this site too. Good Luck. We are all here to help too. Just reach out and ask. You can do it!

I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 13 hours, 22 minutes and 48 seconds (22 days). I have saved $117.29 by not smoking 451 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 13 hours and 35 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 9/7/2008 11:10 PM
0 Kudos
edith2

This is an addiction that can be arrested with the support of others. I don't believe that anyone is hopeless. There are those that waited too long and lost the battle of addiction through death. It takes motivation and determination and not going at it alone. I could not have quit if I did it alone. I didn't have this site when I quit, but I had my son with me the first few days. He gave me lots of encouragement and I kept asking him how I was doing because I didn't want to be cranky with him. He said I was doing surprisingly great. It's amazing how much strength is there that we didn't know existed until we put it to use. I believe that you'll be successful at quitting because I hear your determination.
0 Kudos
edith2

🙂
0 Kudos
edith2

🙂
0 Kudos
taja

Thank you for all your responses and tips, i wanted to vent and i realize that complaining or talking is not going to help me . i am going to quit i do not have a clue how and what will work for me but i'm going to start with not buying them. i would be lying if i said i would throw out my packs, i got two left and like always i say after my pack is done i'll start. i'm setting myself up because that can be two days of not smoking out the way. i'm freaking out now from the thought of it.
my start date is starting now 10/1/2008 12:26pm. ( i flushed all of them)
0 Kudos
carlie

Taja...Have you done the EX Plan....separation...knowing your triggers, etc.? I see alot of what you've written...but I don't see you gone through the EX plan...it's REALLY important !!!

You have gotten some EXCELLENT advice here....and venting is GOOD...you are NOT complaining....talking is part of what you need to do to quit...that's is why we are ALL here !!!!

Take a few minutes and BREATHE.....now read everything that has been said to you here...and read it again (starting with your original post)...DO NOT freak out at the thought of quitting...Be HAPPY.. you are choosing to live, instead of killing yourself by smoking.

YES - Look at those packs of cigarettes, and believe that they kill.....which one will be the one that someday, if not now, maybe 1 year from now...is the one that broke just enough air saks that you can't breath right anymore?? I wish I knew which one did it to me - - I wouldn't have smoked it - - oops - - too late now !!!

Drench the dam packs of killers in water...shred them...be angry at them for wanting to kill you !!!!! Get rid of them...then be proud of yourself that you chose LIFE.....can you do it ????????????
0 Kudos
taja

i began the ex plan yesterday and i started to take the chantix; i have not smoked a cigarette since yesterday. i am trying not to worry about my past or future just being present is helpful i concentrate on how i feel and realize that the cigarettes was pacifying my feelings instead of being bored or upset i read and eat. i wish i can tell u it was healthy but i'm taking the stairs now. i realize i've started a new me i've adjusted other habits i no longer wanted in my life and this is a part of it i am interested in meetings for dealing with the feelings that bumrush me when i imagine this would have been my break time
0 Kudos