cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

wbryonb

good question that could help more than just myself if others read it

• I have seen other people try to stop smoking by using other things instead, like using dip, in particular. They usually end up using dip just like they used to smoke getting addicted to the dip. How do I avoid this if I decide to ,lets say use a vape instead of smoking? I mean is nicotine just as potentially dangerous no matter where it comes from?
11 Replies
anaussiemom

My own person experience with vaps.   

Quit for months with a vap, there was no nicotine in it.  barely used it it.  One day started getting bad coughs.  I thought I had a good brand of vaps no nicotine, just sucking on a battery I guess.   Anyway had to  start using neutralizer.   Soon enough on steroids, antibiotics,  didnt work.   Started the whole round of meds again.  Took 6 months for broc tubes to settle down.
From everything I have read about vaps bad news!  They had to be on market long enough for research.  Small studies have been done,  very bad news thus far on vaps.  Same thing happened to sis.  She did have nicotine.  Long story short 1 yr of vaps for her almost killed her.   Pls Be- careful, using vaps  <3.    mvso

God Bless 

wbryonb

~ Kim

0 Kudos
minihorses

I used vapes as a nicotine replacement therapy to quit a few times and it did ok but I eventually went back to smoking.  They did help as I could have the 'fix' without the garbage in a cigarette.  This quit, the forever one, I decided to go on Chantix and see how it goes.  I still have 2 seperate vape types, both the e-cig and the vape pens with varying amounts of nicotine from 1.2 down to .03%.  I have touched them maybe 3 or 4 times but nothing more than one puff and I don't inhale them.  My vape juice is high quality made with FDA approved ingredients so they don't contain the 4000+ chemicals of a cigarette but they are still a form of tobacco. Since the nicotine is out of my body I don't need them but will have a puff of the pen with the .03% solution once in a great while. Haven't done that in a month or so but it's there and I know I have control of its use.  My plan is to give them to my friend when I haven't touched them for 3 months but will probably send them on their way sooner than that since I don't really need or want them. I never coughed while smoking cigs unless I was sick but when I vaped instead of smoking my throat hurt all the time and I coughed constantly.  It wasn't the way to quit because I was still feeding my body nicotine and doing the same hand to mouth motions.  I guess if you want to use vapes with just flavors and no nicotine you may be able to keep up your quit but I don't recommend or advocate it.  The hand to mouth with a vape only reinforces the 'smoking' action and can lead us right back into the drug addiction we so desperately want to be free of.  

Take everyone's advice and read, read, read, blog, post, take the pledge, ride the freedom train, and ask for help.  You have a wealth of information, experience and help here on Ex.  You CAN become drug free and as you heal you will realize that no form of nicotine is pleasurable or needed.  Hang in here and keep this quit safe, it can be the last one you ever have to face again!!

Julie

87 DOF

0 Kudos