cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

newlife5

going on 4 years now...feeling like i dont care...

Jump to solution

okay, I got that I don't care any more feeling. I been quit almost 4 years...and times are hard, my son ans daughter in law are moving a RV into my back yard... and they have good intentions,... but basically I'm feeling like they will now be homeless,... maybe its not a mistake,... anyway I got a good whiff of his cigarette now I'm feeling like whats the use,.. I'm old I'm going to die anyway,.. I want to smoke.... just came here to get some encouragement... all I want to do is cry,... smoke and feel like a failure...

27 Replies
newlife5

I am fine now I waited it out and I'm truly grateful... I did not smoke and I am not going to... I am still working on coping skills I guess... I smoked 43 years... so basically I'm still a preschooler....throwing a little tamtrum... I got it back together now thanks for being there

maryfreecig

Loving this sequel to "feeling like I don't care...." I'm a preschooler too! So glad you called out and found your turnaround. Amen!

Mandolinrain

I'm late getting here but I had a horrid crave today too! We both got through it and I'm so glad we did! Hugs and love my friend

tjanddj

So glad you got through that moment! Sure hate to see you go back to smoking and then suffer a horrible death like my husband did. Excellent choice not to smoke!

Magstoyou

When I would get in that state, which was last week. I'd say to myself. Smoking is not an option!!

Glad you didn't  smoke. 

Mags 1473DOF

Giulia

"all I want to do is cry,... smoke and feel like a failure..."

You want to feel like a failure?  I DON'T THINK SO!   And you aren't!  Because you paid attention to your quit.   I wrote reams prior to this and lost it all.  I'm old and I'm gonna die anyway too.  But one thing I know for sure, Izzy, is that I never want another Day One.  And I will never be a satisfied smoker.  But I am a much more satisfied quitter.  

And YOU have control over your back yard.  If their "good intentions" turn out to be "taking advantage of Mom" then that's not something to smoke over but it is something to deal with and (if I may be so bold as to say) set rules and regulations.  Like - "let's go out and look for a JOB!"  Living in an RV isn't exactly homeless.  Especially when MOM is gonna pay the bill for the electricity.. whatever.  Sorry - but I'm just going on my emotions based on your unhappiness with them moving into your back yard.  If this new scenario causes you enough distress to contemplate smoking after almost 4 years - that's a rather major distress that needs to be dealt with up front. 

The way to not feel like a failure is to set goals, limits and stick to them.  We did that with quitting, and we can do that with all areas of our life.  

Diannnnn

Hey, nice to "meet" you. I am so glad you came here and didn't give in to the nicotine monster! I agree with Angie, you being here helps us newbies and makes this community valuable. This really reinforces the reality of our addiction; we can never totally let our guard down. We get stronger with every minute of our quit, but we can also become more vulnerable if we forget to be mindful of our weaknesses.

Congratulations on making the good choice! I hope I can do the same when life tests my resolve.

Dian

things change. tell them your concern and they may work harder to overcome the situation instead of settling into your yard.

elvan

I am so glad to get up and see that you are back to yourself.  PLEASE put yourself first.  You have earned that place, unlike a toddler having a tantrum who needs a time out...although time outs don't sound so bad as an adult, do they?  I wish you did not have to go through this but you are here, you are talking about it and you are going to get the strength that you need to make the right decision for you.

XOXO,

Ellen