cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

McCarron

getting closer to my quit day

I am counting the days to my forever quit date which is April 1st. I am actually starting to get excited about it. I have been reading as many things as I can, that I think might be helpful in my effort to break free of this PATHETIC 62 year addiction.

By the grace of God, and the fellowship of AA I have been free of all mood altering drugs for 44 years. I am grateful for that. I have not been successful with my MANY attempts to quit smoking. I have tried it all. hypnosis, treatment, cold turkey, patches. chantex (omg), acupuncture, nicotine gum...……… the list goes on. I have tried to learn something each time I relapsed and the one thing that I strongly believe,. is that I am not going to be able to stay quit without a strong support group.

I have picked up several good tips and  information from you folks that I think will be very helpful. Not only to me but people in my group. I am starting a smokers support group in my home. If the group grows too big, then we will move to a restraunt or wherever I can find a spot for us.

The only requirement for joining the group is a desire to become a non smoker. It will be the blind leading the blind. I will be suggesting that they become members at ex Community . I have a few people who are planning to come to my first meeting and my DR said that he will refer many of his patients to my group.

I have really been trying to be as honest as I can be about my nicotine addiction. I have been looking at how many people have suffered as the result of my smoking. I need to make amends to them. As I was soul searching to do this, I became aware that because of my addiction, I have been extremely self centered. It was like a slap in the face. I was so disgusted with my behavior. It really helped me to see how smoking has warped my mind. I'm not that self centered about any other part of my life. It made me so disgusted with myself. I will get over it once I have made those amends.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IN THIS GROUP IS A FEW PEOPLE WHO WERE CRONIC NICOTINE ADDICTS LIKE MYSELF WHO WOULD BE WILLING TO FOLLOW ME AND GIVE ME SOME TOUGH LOVE WHEN I NEED IT. 

THANK'S TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE SUPPORTING EACH OTHER. THERE IS POWER IN NUMBERS.

NANCY C

13 Replies
McCarron

Your words are appreciated. I haven't smoked even a puff today. I'd like to follow you, but I'm not sure how to do it.

elvan

It gets easier, the beginning is challenging but it gets easier one day at a time, sometimes, one moment at a time.  You can do this, you have a day WON now and who wants to have ANOTHER day one?  This really is a journey and it can't be rushed...I had a list of things to do INSTEAD of smoking and that really did help.  I will admit that I ate quite a few Sour Patch Kids because they were so sour.  It is recommended that if it gets really bad to take a bite out of a lemon, RIND AND ALL.  I kept lemons around but the thought of biting into one freaked me out so I never actually did it.  I did a lot of deep breathing, spent as much time as I possibly could on this site and kept repeating NOPE, Not One Puff Ever.  It gets easier, it just takes time.

You are doing this.  Congratulations on a day WON!

Ellen

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Left click on elvan.  At the bottom of Ellens' box you'll see a box you can click on to Follow.

lqsi12

McCarron‌ how are you doing on being nicotine free ?  We are here if you need us.  We hope your following the advice with deep breathing, sips of ice water etc, to help you through those very troubling first few days!

0 Kudos