cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

elusive

been 3 EX days

Hello everyone , this is my 4th attempt to be an EX . Trying it the cold turkey way . But somehow I feel , life becomes really complex and throws a lot more challenges at you , when you are trying to give it up . Anyways , I hope this time am successful . Any advice/ideas are always welcome . Cheers
0 Kudos
12 Replies
a.d.

Find ways to meet those challenges. Smoking doesn't actually do anything about our problems, it just takes us out of nicotine withdrawal. Join in over here, read and post, and check out the Cold Turkey Anyone and Candid Quitters groups.
0 Kudos
hwc

Yeah, A.D. is right. Smoking 7300 cigarettes this year and everything that goes with that isn't really doing much to help with life's challenges. In fact, it causing many of them.

The mistake many quitters make is thinking about "smoking" in terms of just one cigarette. Of course, smoking one cigarette is not an option. Of course, I don't need to tell you that. You know how the game works. Smoke one cigarette and an hour later you are craving another. The only way to stop the craving is to quit and stick with the quit long enough to get through the physical withdrawal so you can tell you nicotine addiction to go pound sand.
0 Kudos
tigs

Hi elusive!

Glad to see you on the site. I would say the most important thing in successfully quitting (from what I have seen and from the short time I've been quit) is attitude. Having "quittitude"!

Make a commitment that no matter what, you will NOT smoke at all..not one puff. No excuses, no attempts, no hoping. You need to get yourself 100% into your quit, and it is simple (though not always easy..) As simple as not picking up a cigarette, as simple as not taking that first puff. One day at a time, you can do this if you reallly want it!
0 Kudos
AutumnWoman

Hi elusive -- Just to let you know that the best time to quit smoking is more than likely when you decide you want to quit smoking. There is no "perfect" time. The kids will get sick, the car will break down, you and your spouse will have a fight, etc. You know what? Those things are going to happen once you completely stop smoking as well, and you won't have a cigarette to deal with them. Might as well learn now that smoking doesn't solve anything. Once you get through a couple of stressful situations without a smoke, you'll start to feel better about the whole wuitting process. The first couple of weeks are tricky, but come to this site for support and think it through, have a plan so that you don't have to light up.
0 Kudos
rj_

Welcome,
cold turkey worked for me after 32+yrs.
look at www.whyquit.com for some good education
education+determination = success.
Regards, RJ ...Free at Last 500 days, after 32 yrs of feeding the addiction.
0 Kudos
elusive

I agree , thanks for ur advic
0 Kudos
elusive

been alright so far , around 10 EX days 🙂
0 Kudos
elusive

Thanks foryour encouragement
0 Kudos
elusive

very informative , thank you