cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

crjohnson53

answers from my mention of dopamine yesterday

Youngatheart gave me a place to look at all the things that affect dopamine (thank you, by the way).  Before I go further with that I have to say that as mentioned before I have experienced numbness and tingling in my feet, legs, hands and arms since I first started cutting back on the cigarettes.  I could only associate this with the lack of cigs!  And yesterday I looked at other blogs from people who have quit smoking and they talk a lot about the pain that I am experiencing.  Their symptoms are as bad as mine and seem to continue without end!  Mine just gets worse and worse.  It's better during the day after sleeping but as night comes around it gets worse!  I have always had some problems with insomnia but it certainly has gotten worse since I quit smoking.My doctor prescribed some medicine but I couldn't handle it. I recently started taking over the-counter melatonin which is a natural product made in  our brains which tells us it's time for sleep, and helps us sleep.  So, I've been taking that for weeks.  It usually helps put me to sleep but doesn't always keep me there long enough.  My doctor approved of taking this!  

The article about dopamine listed melatonin as one of the things which adversely affects dopamine!  So now I'm really not sure what to do!  Too many nights lately I have laid there trying to go to sleep while in all this pain so I take more melatonin and it puts me to sleep, but I usually wake up too early and the sun coming up earlier now doesn't help so today I woke up at 6:15am after getting to sleep probably around 1 am.  

If anybody has other answers or insight I would appreciate hearing from you!  Thanks!

6 Replies
Lisaml

I would suggest research these two things;

-B complex vitamins for tingling extremities 

-5HTP (a precursor to serotonin) with some interesting effects. 

Can't advocate the use of either, but would highly recommend you do some reading on your own...;-) 

Anya

Those are excellent suggestions Lisaml‌. I would also add magnesium supplements: it helps with sleep and also with pain.

Sleep is critically important. I'm going to guess that dopamine will not make up for lack of sleep. If you are sleep deprived, it will be harder to do the things that increase dopamine. And finally, your body may be less efficient in producing dopamine if not getting enough sleep.  Pain tends to be worsened in a sleep deprived state. I would say to use the melatonin! Get sleep! 

You can use a supplement: L-tyrosine, that helps your body produce dopamine.

Best wishes,

Anya

AnnetteMM

I had very strong lung pain and tingly toes and trouble sleeping for quite some time.  It worried me.  I've been quit over 100 days now and all my pains and tingling, etc., have disappeared.  I didn't even notice it was all gone till I just read your post.

desiree465

I suffered from insomnia since the age of 13. I never wanted to take sleeping pills and suffered greatly because of it. Last year my doctor finally scared me into trying something, I didn't know just how many horrible side effects can arise from not sleeping properly. There are several different classes of sleeping pills. Some are benzos, some are hypnotics, some are anti-depressants and the list goes on. I'm sure your doctor explained the differences to you. I choose to go the anti-depressant route so I take trazadone. It helps me fall asleep and stay asleep and I feel refreshed in the morning. You should really talk to your doctor about trying other types of sleep aids if the melatonin isn't keeping you asleep at night. I just hate to see people suffer from lack of sleep because I know how horrible it is to lay there at night waiting for the sun to come up. I can't even describe how much my life has changed for the better because of sleeping. My only regret is that I waited and suffered for so long. Good luck to you. 

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

Laughing, small spurts of exercise, running in place, saying this is great, laughing laughing helps with feel good receptors.  Anything!  Little joys, and lots of them helps and opens up the receptors.

Petting an animal, feeding birds, smile, fake smiles works, music, dance a little or a lot, cold shower opens lots of brain,  activity, just keep smiling and say this is great.  Can all lead to wonderful dopamine feelings.  It hard work to stop smoking.  So smile, and try anything to bring the feel goods.  /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke   !  They help smile and say wow! 

Not sure about over counter products, of what you are speaking.  Lots of good foods bring many things we need to sleep and feel good too.    MHO

Medications can help also see your Doc first, always.

TINGLING AND NUMBNESS. PLS SEE DOC.  Hugs crjohnson53

KimsSignature.gif

0 Kudos
joverst1

Try GABA. I like the pure encapsultions liquid, take it morning and night. Also try SAM-e in the mrning. I have the same issue with the brain chemicals and this mix helps. Take the sam-e in the morning though not at night. 

0 Kudos