cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dk_

after 40yrs smoking, breathing is a trigger.

Triggers? are you kidding? Life is one big ffff trigger. After following triggers course, I discovered to no doubt that everything I do is a trigger. Talking, knitting pc games, eating anything, drinking anything, it doesn't matter. I will light up anywhere, anytime and even stop doing whatever I am doing to go get another pack. First thing in the morn. and last thing I do at night. smoke. What about Ya' all
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
reenie

Hi there DK, Glad you could join us. Triggers are tricky...you just never know when one is going to crop up. I had and still have lots of them too. The one that was the most difficult to get past, was the 'long car ride' trigger. The one where you would light one after another and when you got out at your destination, everything in and around the car, including the dog, smelled like a smusty pool hall!!?? I recently drove up to Pennsylvania, about 1300 miles, and the first 500 miles were the pitts!!!! After that, I eased into it by repeating to myself...'I'm not a smoker anymore', and "Me, my dog, my clothes and my car are going to smell really good when I get up North'. Anything works...just be creative! Best of luck and keep coming back to read and post.
Reenie
0 Kudos
ladymullet

Been there, done that, and worn that t-shirt. I smoked for about 32 years, a pack a day. I was doing the exercises and noticed there wasn't enough room for all the ciggs I smoked. What to do, what to do. I made my own tracker and kept up with them. I don't have a specific trigger either, the air, outside, just seems like everything is a trigger. My quit day was Monday June 9th, I just couldn't do it I smoked half one on Wednesday and none since, but that doesn't mean I don't want one. I get this feeling in the pit of my stomach. I keep telling myself it'll get easier, and one day I won't even think about them, maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones that even the smell will make me sick.
0 Kudos
nan7

You girls crack me up. I can totally relate that even air was a trigger. I always scored 100% on the questionaires for "what are your triggers". 1 1/2 pack/day for 40 years. I sure am paying for it now though. This quitting is rough stuff for me. Thanks for the chuckle, I needed that (Day 25 of smokefree and still hanging on).
bea3

Hey, DK! Boy, do I hear that!! I am in the process of trying to eliminate some of the smaller triggers, like talking on the 'phone, and find it incredibly difficult, but I gotta do it, if the remainder of my life is to be healthy, and active! I'm up to 3 packs, ever since I started to quit. I think my smoking receptors are in a panic, but it's them or me!!
Best of luck to all who are taking this painful journey with me!.
0 Kudos
dk_

Bea, I am lucky because I am able to do exactly as I want to do no matter when, as I do not have to go to work. Hubby does that. As I work through this quitting process I make myself happy. Do what I feel like doing, eat what I want, drink when I want and say what I think. Not feeling the need to keep up the normal constant cleaning and pleasing others. I am being totally selfish. Sleeping as long as I want, getting up and fixing chicken wings at 5 in the morn cause i had a craving, or staying up all night playing pc games. Whatever I can do to keep my mind from reminding me to smoke. The best way to say it is: If you can't smoke, do the next best thing. That is the way that I cope. I will worry about everything else after I get the main killer under control. The others are just bugs. Just my way of dealing. Maybe another way for you to consider. Actually my husband is even excited about fixing me pancakes with blueberry topping, bacon and milk in the morning (if I am awake). What the hell? The more I spoil me, the more he does too.
0 Kudos
jim17

I totally agree dk. But hey, you're here aren't you? Just making the attempt for me is a small success.
I'm new here, but giving it the old try again...hi all over 50.
0 Kudos
dk_

Yes Jim. I am here. I still need the support as well as the willpower and backup. Was just trying I guess in a feeble attempt to encourage others to spoil themselves. They (and you) deserve it for the effort. I have tried to quit before. 3 mos my longest., not long after my dads cancer death 10 yrs ago. Mom died 2 yrs ago of cancer. I couldn't find a way or day to quit. I got a Chantix rx online. expensive? YES, but I needed help to ATTEMPT to quit. I didn't do the whole 3 mo course. I did most of the 1st mo and then was on my own. I am only a little past 3 weeks off the nicotine, but very proud of that. You are a big success in my eyes. I wanted to quit every day for 2 yrs after my mothers death and still could not give it up. I am happy for your success and will be happier for mine.
0 Kudos
pamela-barnes

lol--I agree. EVERYTHING IS A TRIGGER.
0 Kudos
paul-b

Hey Jim. I'm new to this place and to quitting. I'm a 40+ year smoker and this is my first attempt to quit using the support of this place to help. I tried to quit once before on my own with no support and failed miserably. So far I'm just tracking my smokes but hey, ya gotta start somewhere. I'm glad I found this group right off the bat! I have an appointment with my DR. next week to discuss meds. We will see where it goes from there..
0 Kudos