cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

green1611

addiction is genetic

One of my friend, (who hate smokers) argues that smoking addiction comes from genes and dna.

Is it true?

I gone through this link :

http://www3.mdanderson.org/public/conquest/public_html/summer98/heredit.htm 

Appreciate views and other answers to the questions.

thank you.

0 Kudos
12 Replies

People likely wouldn't smoke if there were no reward.

I'm thinking as long as someone is using nicotine they are addicted to it, otherwise, why use it?

0 Kudos
Gai.C

I didn't smoke because my Parents did. I started smoking because my friends smoked I was a stupid 16 year old.  I have 2 brothers I smoked 1 didn't. I have 2 Sister's  1 smokes 1 don't.  It all comes down to Who U are are and if U let People Influence you. Just my Opinion 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I do believe some people are prone to addiction.  Addiction to alcohol has a fairly high percentage of likelihood for children of alcoholics.    There are always environmental factors as well as evidence of people with mental health conditions can be more prone to substance abuse.  Neither of my parents smoked and all four of us children smoked.  That doesn't disprove that there can be a genetic disposition for addiction in our genes.  There is also research showing some people are more sensitive to the effects of substances.  It's not why we started smoking, drinking, opiod's, etc.; it's why do some people become addicted and others don't.  

Good topic for discussion.

Barb

0 Kudos