cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lwilk

a non-smoker to be (July 20th 2012)

Hi, Just joined the sight.  I am doing this with the support of Spark People message boards also. I am going to succeed at this and I have set up a plan that has been in place since the 3rd of July.  I have cleaned my house and washed the walls and done just about everything I can to prepare for an easy transition into becoming a non-smoker.  I have naturally cut back on my cigarette intake over the past 2 weeks. I have set my goals, and come up with contingency plans.  
There is one thing I am truly concerned about... nicotine is a stimulant, it causes secretion of norepinephrine,  I have a depressive disorder that is primarily a result of a low levle of norepinephrine... so I am concerned about dipping into that dark space when there is no more nicitone in my system.  I realize it takes a complete 30 days for it to leave the body.  SO, I have been exercising like a maniac - walking instead of smoking.  Getting a good 90 minutes or more of a solid workout 6 out of 7 days a week.  I am eating healthy and have avoided the food cravings.  Anyhow, I am steadfast in my conviction to quit, and if I end up in a dark place, I know that I will have the support to help me get back out.  So, that being said I will not be afraid.  I will be strong and I will succeed. 

There ya go, I brief, albeit, bizzare, introduction to me. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
terrimw

Good luck to you!  Yesterday was my quit date and I think I may have descended to that dark place you spoke of today.  I just can't quit crying.  I finally gave in and put on a nicotine patch but it's still not helping!  

I can tell you that the people here are very supportive and very helpful.  There's a couple old grumps but for the most part, they are very upbeat.

I'm not a religious person at all but I do believe that if we listen to our urges (all except the nicotine ones) we are led along the path we need to be on.  I think that I was supposed to read your post.  I was on the verge of climbing in the car and going to the corner store for a pack of cigarettes.  But then I read your post and realized that this sadness is probably just part of the process so I'm going to try to power through it.

Best wishes to you and I hope you'll let me know how you're doing!

Terri

0 Kudos
lwilk

Terri, 
Go with your good instincts.  I know it is going to be diffuclt, and I am glad that you saw the post so that you were able to stop yourself from buying a pack.  
There is ongoing research to find a replacement for norepinephrine release that is wholistic and healthy.   
I, too, and on a good workout and eating routine,  I have plenty of healthy choices to provide healthy options to my impulses. 

GOOD LUCK TERRI!!!!!!  I will be smoke free between now and the 20th.  

0 Kudos