cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Yes or no?

Is No Man's Land cigarette free or nicotine free?  I’m almost 3 months off smokes and my brain is lost in la la Land. I am using NRT's.  

16 Replies
indingrl

CONGRATS GWENIVERE YOUR DOING GOOD!!!!!!! I am very proud of YOU loving and taking good care of YOU!!! Gentle hug!!!

stAn3

I thought it was days 31-120 of not smoking. I made it through this time with no problems but have relapsed in the past. These relapsed happened almost immediately after giving up NRT or when I was in a stressful situation and not doing anything to protect my recovery. One thing I learned is that patches are the best NRT for me. I would use the other ones the same way I used cigarettes (to increase my nicotine levels, get the oral fixation, and ease stress). I did much better once I got on the patches because I’d change the patch everyday, not go through withdrawal, and not thing about it the rest of the day. My advice for anyone going through no mans land is to stay vigilant. That transition period of days 1-30 are only a beginning. We have this addiction until the day we die. Don’t focus on stopping smoking. Focus on NOPE, never going back to smoking no matter what. 

Gwenivere

I know the patches help.  I did much better at 14 than 7 which I’m on now.  This really feels like withdrawl.  The former was about what I smoked.  I only have 2 options, go back to a higher patch or see this thru because I, oddly, do not want a cigarette.  Sometimes I think I do but I know so much more about it, would have to deal with failure and have a lung condition that I don’t want to rush it’s progression.  I had a TIA a couple years ago and now the@ thought of that again or worse scares the bejeezus out of me.  I guess I’ll have to go thru another withdrawl when I feel I am up to dropping the patch but I am holding onto the lozenges and that may be for a very long time.  My goal was not to be nicotine free, but smoke free.  My docs are OK with that all around.  It’s going to be finding what works to get back to a functioning level sans smokes.  Maybe someday I will be nic free.  Just gotta do this day by day.  Thanks for your input.stAn3

Lauralives

Sweet Gwen.  I wish you could be nicotine free but I understand and I think we all do the best we can.  You are doing an amazing job!  Yes you will have to go through withdrawal many more times with NRT as you drop down in nicotine levels but if that gets you to where you need to be, so be it.  To be successful, we often take different paths.  Yes, day by day.  We are all here to support each other.  Hugs to you!!

Gwenivere

Thank you Lauralives.  You are right, I am finding.  I’ll have another quit after these lowest patches.  When I started it equaled my smoking so it wasn’t too bad.  Now I really get it.  From my research, this wouldn’t be as bad if I didn’t have the panic disorder.  I like being unique, but in this situation it’s a very frustrating challenge with the meds.  Hugs to you too.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Gwen, I was curious to hear the opinions to this question myself.  Didn't see that anyone ever asked this before--shows how much thought you put into this. Which, I for one admire.  To me NML is about a period of time when it can be especially difficult for new quitters.  I don't think NRT has anything to do with it.  Do what you need to do to continue your SUCCESS on this journey.  I've said this before to you--I know this has been a real struggle for you, but you're so strong and you're doing it.  You go girl!!!!!

Barb

Gwenivere

thank you, Barbscloud.  I’m going alright.  Right out of my mind!