cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Vincent713

Yay

I have finaly made it. i made it one week. I did not think i would make it but i did. Yay me.

23 Replies
Giulia

Ah Vincent, how happy this makes me.  Makes so many of us.  Yay YOU indeed.  You just keep on in the direction you're going because you're DOING THIS!  You've got this!  IF you're willing to stay on the journey no matter what.  It's the "no matter what" that gets a lot of people in trouble.  So remember that.  Will you?!

1 Week Yes Dog W Pink Lips.jpg

0 Kudos
gardenancy8

Kudos on your one week Vincent!  Keep on keeping on! 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Hi Vincent congratulations on your achievement.  It is also important to educate yourself about the addiction of nicotine.  If you do not have them I would suggest you reading Addiction 101 and Freedom Journey From Nicotine.  Can be found @ Www.whyquit.com.  Very important stuff. 

0 Kudos
shashort

Congrarulation s Vincent making it through 7 days, HELL week, YAY YAY YAY for you.  Now on to heck week.

0 Kudos

Very Good

0 Kudos
pongaselo

A week is very good because now you know that you can tell yourself NO and you will obey.  Thats a stupid way to put it but a very real part of making a real quit out of a couple days of abstinence.  This amount of time should give you some real encouragement.  I'm on week four and I have stumbled which is why I am here right now.  I have been making some sort of comment on other folks letters and questions every day for the last 24 or 5 days.  Today I stopped writing. This evening, I had an argument with myself that I didn't feel like winning enough to suit me.  The energy was not there and I know that for a while at least the energy has to be more powerful that it was this afternoon. I didn't hop in the car and roll over to the gas station for a pack of smokes but my arguments were weak and I felt like, The hell with it, this is a pain in the ass.  This is all true of course. It is a pain but after managing my triggers, energy levels, emotions and some cravings at first, I have succeeded so far.  It would really suck to do all that and then get in line to throw away money, wreck my clothes, force my daughter to not visit with my grandson, and every other shitty thing that goes along with the absolute worst habit that a person can have.

This is the thing, I don't personally believe that physical cravings make us come back to smoking.  I think its the learned behaviors and psychological triggers.  For me, I have to learn to recognize the triggers and manage them correctly.  Correctly for me is a very short 3 steps or series of events and reactions relying on the single most useful rule of human nature. I call it the 10 minute rule. I heard some where that even the brightest people have about a 10 minute attention span.  I have decided that this is a true fact and really may very well be true. For me it is. So here goes the 3 steps:

1. Something will happen that reminds me that I want to smoke.  It might be a movie, boredom, having a cup of coffee. Not important what the trigger was at All.
  2. Without getting into some ridiculous time wasting intellectual debate in my head, I dismiss it as quickly as possible
  3. I briefly promise myself that I can get back to a serious consideration of the importance of trashing my life in 10 minutes.  

I never ever return to the specific conversation after 10 minutes. Ever.  Not saying a trigger doesn't hit me more than once. They do. Just remembering that this stupid crap was what made me such a jackass for so long is about all the argument necessary most of the time.  The 10 takes care of the rest. Wow, I really needed that.

bonnie.s

hip hip hooray (blue on white).jpg

0 Kudos
cpsono

Congratulations...a week quit is HUGE and you should be very proud and happy...I can tell that you have a great "quititude" so I hope to see you around here.  This place is really the best!!!!

0 Kudos

Please pardon my tardiness to your celebration Vincent.

Huge congratulations on your first smoke free week!

'Hell Week' is history & you have kicked Nic's ash!

Keep on keepin on,

M n @

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congrats on one week Vincent713‌.

That's a great accomplishment.  

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos