cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

liamarie463

Would you say trying a replacement medication is effective or it will just bring you back to tobacco use? 

Im trying to decide if i should quit cold turkey or with a medication replacement. 

24 Replies
PrimeNumberJD

Yes, I am aware that relapse rates remain consistent despite the modality of quitting. 

Some methods of NRT become a cigarette replacement, not a method of quitting nicotine. Gum is the NRT that I've seen to be the most likely, though the argument can be made that vaping yields similar results. 

NRT can make it easier. Despite the studies documenting that it can make you 2x more likely to stay quit, other studies have shown that the clinical trials do not translate to real life, counseling being a major difference between the two.

Most people just buy NRT and think that will do it. They don't even follow the directions most of the time (guilty). NRT will help you not smoke or vape, but one still has to develop the mentality necessary to stay quit! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Yep.  That doesn't happen often.   

PrimeNumberJD

Too bad, I was really looking forward to a Saturday afternoon discussion

0 Kudos

We used to call those a ruckus around here.

My major point was you unlearn the "thought and response" ritual easier using the patch, not that something else couldn't work