cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

Worst Day Ever!

Ok, so I'm here to vent   Today has been the worst day since my quit.  Just when I thought I had it licked a day like today proves me wrong.  Don't worry, I didn't give in and will Never give in as I've come to far to do that.  I'm really having a bad one today and even though I've done all the exercises and coping skills that are at my disposal, the Urge has not gone away at all.  I've been dealing with this all day and it's still an issue. My anxiety level is through the roof, my mood is far from a good one and I'm having temper flair ups with everyone around me.

What the heck is going on?  I just want to go to bed and put an end to this day.

HELP!

28 Replies
Ralph1955

Thanks my friend I needed that  

Barbara145

Believe it or not, you are doing great.  Slow deep breaths are a miracle cure for anxiety. Most of us smoked for many years.  Like Dale said, " give it time, it just takes time 

paradox55

As a fairly new quit, I cannot imagine what you are going through. But I'm SO proud that you came here for support and are sticking with your quit! It gives me great hope for my own personal journey. So thank you for staying strong, not just for you, but in a way, for me too. 

Ralph1955

So nice of you to say that ❤️

RachelMB

Ralph- 

I remember having my worst times around days 100 to 110. I never had two bad days in a row and you wont either. You did the best thing by coming here. We all understand because we have been there. You sooooo have this my friend and we have your back.

Rachel 

Giulia

OK, tough ass chiming in here (take what you need an leave the rest please).  So it's your worst day ever.  So?  Have you made the commitment or not?  You think this is going to be your only "worst day ever" during this quitting process?  If you do, then you still have some learning to get through.  Not that I don't sympathize.  I do.  'Cause I didn't get here with a 12 year quit without going through what you are right now. 

"What the heck is going on" is the 'normal' for this process.  We are terrified, then we think we've "got it," then we wonder if we do, then we realize we don't, then we think we do, then we know we don't, then...  

I don't assume anything with my quit.  Except to assume that I will be shocked all along the years by those wild, out-of-the-blue cravings that will sometimes rock my boat - when I am most vulnerable and least expect it.  But I do actually expect it and do certainly accept it - as part of my journey.  So although it may be a surprise, it's one I've had before and know how to deal with.  That why what we gain from our years quit,  gives us the wisdom for the years to come.

Have you practiced any deep breathing techniques?  They really do help to lower the anxiety level.

Relax breathing geometric.gif

Ralph1955

Wow thanks I needed that. I will no longer assume anything during my quit. I was told by a friend that his quit from drugs was easier than his quit from cigarettes. I get that now.

Sootie

Well the "tough ass" above me pretty much covered it!!!!!! (love you Giulia‌) but I do want to say that when I had days like that I did find the breathing helped me A LOT. I called it "smoking breathing" where I sort of breathed as you do when you smoke......pull in through your mouth and release through your mouth. I would do that at my desk, while driving wherever and it really helped me get through those RIDICULOUS days where the thought of smoking seemed to be everywhere.

I still use this breathing today....not really for craves but when I feel myself getting stressed about something.....work, the kids, whatever.

Hang in there because I think you are doing great.

Giulia

Hey, I have a confession to make.  When I get a SERIOUS craving these days, (which is rarely) I actually put my two "smoking fingers" together and take a nice deep drag through them and do a slow exhale.  Great term for it, Sootie "smoking breathing."  Interestingly we actually breathed deeper when we smoked, inhaling all that crap.  Now we can do the same thing, with just pure air.  We just need to be reminded to do so.  I wonder if half the reason we smoked for relief, was just taking those long deep breaths of air that calmed us.  Shallow breathing creates  or at least contributes to panic attacks.  Think about it.

Sootie

TOTALLY AGREE!!!! That is the whole premise behind smoking breathing. I think the deep breaths were what calmed us just as much as the actual smoking.