cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Grammy25

Worried about quit date

I do really want to quit smoking; but I am not looking forward to my quit date which is August 31st! I am afraid that I won’t be able to quit on that date and it is causing me to have anxiety! 

Are there any suggestions that can help me?

Thank you 

0 Kudos
53 Replies
Grammy25

Thank you so much for sharing your story!

I do plan on sticking with August 31

karenjones

just quit one hour at a time, do not worry about next week or next month. Take care of the next few minutes and the next few after that and soon it is an hour and then the hours turn into many hours and before you know it you haven't smoked on day one.  That is the hardest day, but you can do it. if you feel bad cravings take a shower. I hope you do not have one cigarette or ashtray or lighter in your house? If so, get rid of that stuff now. Now. see you tomorrow on the pledge page.  sleep tight, tomorrow is the rest of your life. bless you.

Grammy25

Thank you so much!!

I am going to go at it with a positive attitude

Bellegonia

Hi Grammy,

Just thought I would mention that Allen Carr's website also had an online vidoe series if that helps at all since your quit date is just around the corner! Here's a little of my experience in the hopes that it will help relieve some of your anxiety.

I had been on a beach vacation the week before I quit (on quit day 3 1/2 now) and I spent much of that time on the beach being pensive and thoughtful... will I quit? I didn't have to if I wasn't ready, I gave myself that much permission. It wasn't a question of IF but of WHEN. I had picked my date based on my Mom's death date from emphysema. It took me 8 years later to get serious about quitting. On vacation I would think about quitting and almost immediately have the urge to light up. The anxiety that is produced just from the thought of not having your smokes is one of the cruelest phenomenon of being a smoker. I can so relate to your thoughts! I hope you will forgive my bluntness but it's a Mind F**k if I ever experienced one. For me, the bottom line was I was at least going to try, I had to at least do that much... because my self talk was focusing on a bigger picture besides just what I had to "lose" but also what I had to "gain".

On my quit day I smoked as many as I could smoke while I set myself up by writing my Pros/Cons List. Then I wrote a goodbye letter to my cigarettes. By 9:30 that night I was down to my last one. I had a little ceremony, just me and my last smokey treat. I told it I didn't want to die the way my Mother did, how it already may be too late but at least I would try. I told it I cared more about myself than I did about the loaded gun I had been sucking on the end of for more then 45 years. (See pic below that I took to use as a screensaver. It's not just any picture, its a picture of my last cigarette EVER!) I got to the filter, stubbed it out and went to bed. The next day I found this forum. I still sit in my chair at the window fan (my smoking chair) and I have left my nasty smelling ashtray right where it sat before (sans the butts). It stinks. It reminds me that that smell is also the taste I have in my throat and my lungs and all of my cells. When I am no longer feeling the sensation in my throat of coughed up tar I will throw away the ashtray.

The Winners on this forum - and there are many - have helped me to make it this far just by taking it one day at a time. I had NO IDEA that it's NOT recommended that you look to the future! That there's real truth in the one minute, one hour, one day vision of a Winner Who Quit as well as great tips because they have all "been there, done that." I also had no idea that Junkie Talk was a tried and true real thing... there's so much knowledge and strength here that creates such a great diversion that it's like having a whole cheering section as big as a football stadium ready to call your name on to the field.

When you're ready... come back!

Hugs.

Belle

My Small Quit Pic.jpg

Grammy25

Thank you for sharing your story!

I ordered Allen Barr’s book and it is on it’s way

0 Kudos
Anite

Grammy

I am smokeless since 24 August 2018.  I quit cold turkey.  I woke up that morning with a terrible cough but I still smoked two!!! I did not plan it, I just dumped the packet on my bedside table, while coughing got dressed, did the make up and hair and left for work with the packet and lighter, I dumped at work in the huge rubbish bin and walked away.  I started craving round about 10 that morning and I licked on a small little dry coffee and heaps of water. It helped.  

I dreaded the evening, I am used to my 2 glasses of wine with dinner.  I had my wine and small container coffee next to me.  Went to bed without any cigarettes.

The I dreaded the weekend.  Coffee, chewing whole cloves and lots of water.  Deep breathing.  I got over my first weekend.  By Monday I prayed to make it to 7 days which I did.  The cravings did not go away yet but there are hours on hours per day that I don"t even remember that I smoked, as a matter of fact every time a smoker enters my office the smell is vulgar!! I used to smell like that.

Wishing you luck.  If you can get through the weekend you have achieved something!!!!

IrishRose

Anite‌ , yowzah , you were sucking on whole cloves as in the spice, CLOVES !  So funny, those things are extremely strong and pungent to my taste buds , I cannot even handle the hint of it in a food. 

Irish Rose 

0 Kudos
Anite

@IrishRose

I am actually laughing about your comment about the cloves.  I forced myself because it helped me.   Cloves numb my mouth so much that the craving for a cigarette vanishes immediately.  Haha.  I do not think I will ever use it in food again after this, but is sure assists in my case.  I am on day 39!!

0 Kudos
Grammy25

Congratulations on your day 39 quit

0 Kudos
Grammy25

Thank you for sharing your story!

I know what you mean about the smell because when I try not to smoke and someone lights one around me it really smells bad! I should remember that smell!