cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

WikkdSra

Winning or Losing

I'm craving bad and it seems like nothing I do helps for long but I keep fighting so I think I'm winning but it could just be that I'm losing slowly. I even grabbed one but I gave it away after holding onto it for almost 2 hrs.

16 Replies
sweetplt

Hoping today is a better smoke free day for you...so close to one week celebration...~ Colleen 120 DOF 

0 Kudos
WikkdSra

Today is really good so far. I've been up like 6 hrs and I haven't craved 1

yet 😃

Christine13

So good to see you making it through this!!

0 Kudos
elvan

OMG, you held a cigarette for two hours?  Where did you get it?  You would be MUCH BETTER off not having any cigarettes or smoking paraphernalia around.  I cleaned out everything and gave away 8 packs of a carton and drowned one open pack.  My quit was not planned, I got sick and the decision was made FOR me.  I had wanted to quit for a long time but it became very clear that the time was now.

It IS going to get easier but please don't set yourself up.

Ellen

WikkdSra

I live in a smoking household and we roll our own cigarettes. I watch others smoke all day long, It's ok though it's just something I need to get used to. I'm hoping to start a trend 😃

0 Kudos
elvan

WikkdSra  Well, by GOD, I hope you DO that.  I don't live in a smoking household but I know lots of successful quitters on this site do.  Is there any chance that your housemates will support you in your quit?  Like by keeping smoking stuff out of sight...perhaps smoking outside only.  It would be good for them too.  They will automatically cut back on their smoking if it is less convenient.  No matter what, you need to protect YOUR quit, is there a way that you can make at least some part of your home smoke free and set it up with healthy plants and reminders that it is a HEALTHY SPACE?  Stay close to the site and let us know if we can help in any way.  Quitting is not easy but it is so worth it.

Ellen

CarynS

Hi, glad to see you got support and worked through that moment!! 5 days down and it gets easier from here.

Just in case that comes up again, I read that a craving that sneaks up on you (not the obsession kind) is no longer than 3 minutes. So i used to take a deep breath and hold it as long as I could. Since I have smoke for so long, I think my fight-or-flight kicked in and I forgot about my craving  as I wondered if I would fall over. Sometimes I did that 2 or 3 times but usually once was enough!!

For the obsession kind, I got an indoor mini-trampoline and bounced on that through the boring/ obsession times and phone call times (i used to phone talk and smoke a lot). Added bonus of feeling like I was doing something healthy-ish. I feel like something physical gives me something else to do besides eat as well.

Anyway, good luck and keep up the good work!