cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

anna64

Why you decided to quit??

I'm still pretty new here as are others I'm sure.... I was just wondering what circumstances made you decide to quit at this particular time??  Any comments??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
anna64

I'm here and quitting because my cardiologist said my heart looked and sounded great....BUT my lungs however sound hollow....whatever that means....I know that I have Chronic Bronchitis even though I don't feel it most days, don't have much of a cough...even quitting 24 hours ago.......I haven't had much of a cough....What to do what to do......THere's other issues but I will refrain from telling them at least for now!!

0 Kudos
KatsKats

Hi!! My name is Kathy and I am 47. The over 40's Name caught my eye so here I am. I joined this site back in 2009 but did not quit. I am in my 16th day...but I have smoked twice once a week ago and once this week. I am wearing the patch but I take it off at night both slips occured early in the morning. Anyways I want to stay quit because of my health. I have been chronically TIRED and always seem to have some illness or another. I have a tough time breathing in the cold or with exertion. This winter I have been coughing a lot and on my quit day I was in the bathroom at work coughing and choking to the point of almost throwing up. I said thats it and put on a patch. So it wasn't a well planned quit but I think Im doing pretty good. I worry about going back to cigs as I quit for a month once and went back. How could anyone go through the hell of the first few weeks and then do it agin? Right? Plus I am afraid if I start I might not stop. It took me almost three years to try again. The minute I wake up I think "Cigarette". Damm!!! I have changed my mornings by getting on the treadmill within 30 minutes of waking up and cutting back on coffee. How is everyone else?

0 Kudos
szimm

My name is Sally and I just joined this sight literally 45 minutes ago.  I have been smoking for 30 years…..I am 44 years old.  I have quit a few times over the years. One time I quit for 3 years!  I am not sure why I started again but I did, as stupid as it was. LOL.  I really need to stop smoking forever. My body is starting to feel all the repercussions from my bad habits and I am really getting scared that I will get cancer and die.  I have 4 kids all school aged and I need to be here for them.  My mom died of lung cancer at the age of 62. 

So that is me in a very small nut shell.  I am looking for a good strong support network. Hopefully I find one here on this site.  I have many more nut shells to share….hopefully as time goes on. LOL

0 Kudos
anna64

Welcome ladies....KatsKats....I too have quit before....I think it was in 2009 even and after 3 months went back to smoking after letting a MINOR trigger get the best of me....and as I think of it now....I DID NOT see myself as a NON-SMOKER at that time...I know you can do it....you've already changed your morning routine which is really good to do if your a Morning smoker!  I was too so even now with coffee it's a HABIT to look for the smoke....it's not that I need it but the damm habit is what's bothering me!!  I do have 11 days under my belt now and I too have not so good health....I've quit to better my health...Sinuses were a BIG problem for me...I had a wonderful 6-7 days without Sinuses ruining my day only to get a damn cold and it stopped up one nostril and drips in the other!!  Still would like to know how THAT happens!!  Keep the positive attitude...YOU CAN DO THIS and you're doing it one day at a time....Remember to BLOG, BLOG and BLOG.....it really helps to get through a crave!!  Plus there is awesome people here to help!!  Have a Great Smoke Free Day!!  :O)

0 Kudos
KatsKats

Hi Ladies, Day 22 WooHoo!! It has been a rough one. Damm anxiety. At least I think it's anxiety. Does anyone else get this or remember what works to pull out of it. I'll try to describe it a constant nagging tightness in my chest which makes it seem like I cant breathe in enough air. Even though Im obviously breathing fine. I read all these stories about people quitting for months even years and then they go back to it. Oh dear God I worry about that because this is pretty much the longest I have ever gone after many attempts. I have to keep thinking like Anna said ONE DAY AT A TIME!  I hope that everyone is doing well. Thanks Anna and Sally!!! Congratulations Anna on the 11 days. Sally have you set a quit date yet? My father died of lung cancer I didnt know him but I found out over a year ago about the cancer. It scares me too. I dont want my family to watch me die a horrible death from being a smoker. Stay Strong!!

0 Kudos
anna64

Kats...congrats on 22!!!  The anxiety you have....and yes it sounds like anxiety cuz I have it too.....will pass.....

My doctors have told me that the less stress in your life will make the anxiety better .... do you think that maybe you've had it for a while before you quit but just didn't notice??  I've noticed my stress level has gone down since I quit...and I just realized that as I write this!!  WOW....what a wonderful feeling.....

STAY STRONG IN YOUR QUIT.....One Day at a Time will get you through

:O)

0 Kudos

Hi Ihave decided to quit because my health tells me I am a smoker, I have been smoking cigarettes since I was 14yrs, now I'm 46yrs, wow 32yrs and my lungs just keep gettn worser! My 12yr old tells me it scares her to hear me coughing all night as It did for me to hear my grandma cough, I lost my mom to throat cancer, dad to lung cancer and oldest sister to cancer, when am I going to wake up and stop smelling the cigarette smoke, when I dont wake up any more! My mom and sister was both only 49yrs old when they passed, and I keep saying I don't wanna be next well why dont I just put the cigarettes away first of all. So here I am, only 5 cigarettes yesterday and today, quiting date is 3/5/2011, so please any advice, support would be greatly appreciated!!!

0 Kudos
mssherry

I have tried many many many times to stop smoking and now my Dr. tells me I have fluid around my heart and i must stop. Hoping it's not too late I decided to join to get support form other smokers. I have tried several ways to quit and have stopped for maybe a month then started back for different reasons. i want to live to see my childern do well in their lives. Smoking sucks it smells bad and tastes bad but still I light up crazy thing!  i am 47 yrs. old I will be 48 this year I am close to fifty and by then I want this addiction to be in my past.

0 Kudos
goalcompleter

Hello everyone.  I am a 40-year-old female, and today is my first day without smoking.  I am quitting for financial and health reasons, as I now have Thyroid Eye Disease, which is directly related to the combination of having taken radioactive iodine years ago for Graves' disease and continuing to smoke, and I am currently only working a few hours every other week, so I can no longer afford such an expensive habit (not that I ever really could).  I had not been warned that smoking would cause such problems with my eyes, but that's no guarantee I would have quit anyway, given how incideous this addiction is.  In any case, I cannot have surgery to correct my eye problems if I don't quit smoking, so here I am, not smoking and wearing the patch.  If I successfully don't smoke for six months straight, I can then begin the surgery process (I need a minimum of three eye surgeries) to correct my vision.  I've giving it my all this time, not just "trying."  I've done it.  Smoking is over for me.

Let's see if we can get this group going again.  It appears most people haven't posted here for a very long time.  I wish you all luck in your quits.  Remember, you're much to beautiful to smoke! (an old friend says that to me each time before we hang up on the phone). 

0 Kudos