cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kiristyj24

Why is it harder to quit this time?

I quit smoking for 2 years and back to it again but for some reason I feel like it's harder to quit smoking now why is that ? 

17 Replies
Mandolinrain

I agree with Dale. You gave yourself permission, found and excuse and acted on it.

Quitting is hard and it is CONSTANT. You can't allow your guard to be down. 

Read  the materials above and re-educate yourself on the addiction. As Thomas stated about addition, he is right on. We are addicts to Nicotine and the 1000 other chemicals or more in one smoke. I know I will be right where I left off if I start to smoke again....and probably even more so because the drug NEVER sleeps or forgets where IT left us.

Your stronger than that. So very glad your here now. You can do this. Hey, many many of us have failed. Theres no shame in coming and starting over. I had too a lot. Its a horrible addiction but quitting and stay quit id doable.

Wishing you the best, hang in there. We are all here for you

0 Kudos
jbliesmer

Is your mindset different this time? Have you made smoking easier than before? 

elvan

Kiristyj24‌ I think I was scared to death to restart a quit until this time.  I have not smoked in over 3 years but before that, I was a serial quitter for 47 years.  I had never quit with the education, support, and commitment that I did THIS time.  Do all of the reading, prepare for your quit, make your commitment, and know that you will never be alone on this site.  There is always someone here who has been exactly where you are!  

Best,

Ellen

0 Kudos
priscillaw

Hi Thomas, Priscilla.  I don't guess I  have COPD yet or emphazema  got to relearn the program. getting sick and tired of being sick and tired.  Thank you found a lot of your info to be very helpful now and in the past.

Giulia

I think it's because the first time we quit it's new and a rather exciting adventure.  We also don't know what we're in for.  With each successive time, however, the psychological tricks don't work as well - they lose some of their effectiveness.   Here's an analogy:  my aunt and uncle went to Tahiti and had one of the most amazing times of their lives.  They enjoyed it so much, several years later they went again.  But the bloom was off the rose, so to speak.  The repeat was not nearly as exciting as the initial experience, because they had already seen the hula dancers, and taken the ukulele lessons, received the leis, done all those touristy things.  Part of the thrill and charm of an experience is it's first-time uniqueness.  First ride in a hot air balloon is amazing.  I would imagine the 10th, not quite the same.

When I quit back in my early 20's I spent time getting my head in the right place for it.  I thought of it as a spiritual growth process.  It wasn't that I wanted to rid myself of the slavery of the addiction (I didn't even know it WAS an addiction) but rather that I wanted to OVERCOME my weakness and feel empowered.  I knew that in order to do so would take a great deal of self analysis.  I turned it into an exciting challenge and that challenge was motivation enough.  And I stayed smoke free for over a year.

But with each successive quit attempt it became more difficult to "get it up"  psychologically.  That's one of the penalties of relapse.  And that's been quite a motivator for me this time around.  That's why I coined the phrase Day Won, Never Another Day One.  

So what do you do if it seems harder this time to quit?  Well you must discover and develop new ways to motivate yourself.  Hanging out in this support group is one great tool.  Reading, increasing your knowledge base, communicating with others and holding yourself accountable are all part of the umph that can help push and pull you through.  For we need both the push and the pull I think.  

So, rather than trying to figure out why it harder, try to figure out how to make it less hard.  That's part of your homework.

I'm glad you're here!

The others have great wisdom above.

I just want to add, JUST KEEP AT IT. If you really want to quit - you will. Don't think about the last one (or in my case ALL of the previous ones). Just focus on this one, and not smoking ever again.

Be well.

~Lisa

0 Kudos
bonniebee

Everybody gave you such good information already . I must say my answer was in line with Ellen's answer to you . I also was a serial quitter foe 52 years the first time I quit was so hard I went 3 months nicotine free but when I relapsed I went 10 years before even making another attempt to quit  after that  failure (again ) I went another 10 years  then they got closer together as I became more and more determined to quit ! I have now been over 2 years and I believe it is because I found this site  and have had so much support from all of the Ex'ers that are here . Even thesayings welcome purple rose.gif Newbies like you help me to stay quit because " I am giving back to keep it "Hang in there ,Welcome to Ex, and take the advice above ( take what you need and leave the rest ) 

jconfusion

what got me to quit was when i was looking up why my cats eyes werent getting better, it was because of my smoking.  my cat was born with damaged tissue.  but that was it for me, i bought nicorette gum, for 3 months, and it took care of the craving, but chaos is my son.  there was no question that was it for me.  he is 13 years old now.    and it wasnt really hard for me, after i read it was my fault.  nicorette was good for me, i dont like the patches. hope this helped alil bit