cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

magen

Why do I grind my teeth/clench my jaw?

It seems like since I have been trying to stop smoking, I find myself involuntarily grinding my teeth or clenching my jaw, especially when the cravings are strong. As a child and early teen, I used to grind my teeth involuntarily in my sleep when I was stressed and had to get a bite plate, but I have not used one in years. What is wrong with me?! Is this a normal reaction to nicotine withdrawl???
0 Kudos
5 Replies
rj_

I've been clean almost a year and have been grinding alos, I think it is a result of stress, I'm gonna go get me a athletic type mouth guard.
There were times even when I was smoking I ground my teeth in my sleep, now I do it a lot, except a couple weeks ago while I was on vacation, that is why I think it is stress related.
Best to You,
RJ
0 Kudos
rj_

I've been clean almost a year and have been grinding alos, I think it is a result of stress, I'm gonna go get me a athletic type mouth guard.
There were times even when I was smoking I ground my teeth in my sleep, now I do it a lot, except a couple weeks ago while I was on vacation, that is why I think it is stress related.
Best to You,
RJ
0 Kudos

I used to clench my teeth and grind them even while smoking--I think this is an oral gratification thingy. Probably goes back to infant suckling instincts--then sucking a thumb--then when older, sucking on a cigarette.

So, I suck on a toothpick, that seems to help ease the tension of oral gratification--heck if it helps, get a childs pacifier . Whatever it takes to not put a cig in your mouth.
0 Kudos
sjg

I am doing the same thing!! Thought it was just stress, but I can't stop clenching either. I'm on day 6....I'm also coughing a lot!
0 Kudos
shanomaly

I tend to clench constantly too. I think when you cough after you quit smoking, your lungs may be clearing out a lot of the old crud. I like the idea of a mouth guard, though, because when I clench, it adds more wrinkles, and I always look mad.
0 Kudos