cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Metalhead1998

Why did you stop smoking/vaping?

Hi everyone, I am 25 days no smoke today and I'm having trouble managing my cravings today. I quit because it was getting too expensive, I started smoking about 5 cigs a day only for about a month, and because I wanted to see how far I could really go this time. I used to only be able to stop for a week because when school (college) stresses me out I get anxiety and I would go right back to smoking. I'm in need of some motivation today, maybe share why you quit or just leave me some encouragement. I have some quizzes and papers and I'm just trying to find the will power and focus not to go to 7-11. 

Thank you, 

Nick 

16 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I quit when a vascular surgeon told me he could fix the blocked arteries to my legs, but that if I continued to smoke I would probably need the surgery again and I might at that point not be healthy enough for him to perform it.  THAT got my attention.....he didn't need to add that  I might actually lose a leg then due to poor circulation!!  Found  a physician who specialized in smoking cessation; (after ending my relationship with my GP when he told me to "get some carrot and celery sticks, slap on a patch and ...I would be.....good to go")  The new doc prescribed Chantix gave me the link to this website, and I quit 10 days later.  It was my first and only attempt - and that was almost eight years ago.

You can keep making excuses not to quit smoking until you end up in a surgeon's office like me - or you can suck it up and get it done now while you are still young enough not to have caused any permanent damage.  I vote for the second option!

You CAN do this!  If you read the book by Allen Carr, you will come to understand that the reduction in stress you feel when you light up is reducing only the stress CAUSED by the last cigarette you smoked.  It does nothing to help the deadline stress, or the exam stress, or bills' stress.  Nada!  Zero!  Once you understand that, it goes a long way to helping you make that decision not to smoke another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT! 

Nancy

Metalhead1998

Thank you, it felt great last week when I took an exam wrote a paper and took two quizzes without smoking. I drove to a 7-11 and called my friend Anna. It is hard because most of my friends smoke or smoke marijuana so I dont really have much of a support system outside of this website. 

Thank you Nancy,

Nick 

avian3

I also quit because it was too expensive. I thought it was too late for me to quit but once I did, I not only saved more money but there were so many other positives that came with it that I never even thought about.

Congrats on your 25 days!!

Metalhead1998

Thanks avian, I ran through my head yesterday a pod a day lasts 4 days and that means I would have made 6 purchases for a total of around 120 dollars ... that part does feel good thanks for the comment.

I quit after 12 hours on a surgical table to bypass three arterial blockages. I was also informed that I was in systolic heart failure. when I was released from the hospital almost a month later, I had a very good start on a quit and have never looked back.

I have other conditions related to my smoking and deal with those on a daily basis.

That was 6 1/2 years ago.

Larry

WhispersQSMB

I saw the ending to a smokers life, the last 15 years of it. The ending is bad and the smoker suffering (my mother) told me "don't wait until you have to quit, quit because you want to". Every time i had an urge to smoke i watched one of the videos by ex smokers who had to quit or looked at photos and videos of smokers lungs. It's harsh but worked for me

Smoking does nothing for us, eventually it takes our breath away  

indingrl

25 DAYS OF FREEDOM

Cousin-Itt

Nick  It is going on 4 years since I quit I can still remember by last 2 cigarettes that morning. That's all I can remember until I awoke 5 days later hands tied to the hospital bed and on a ventilator.  Once removed my pulmonary doctor came in and told I had a choice He continued to tell me he would always do his best for me if I continued to smoke or not. He just asked 1 question.  What type of life do I want to live.  My choice wasn't about quitting really, it was a choice about the way I wanted to live.   I never looked back and I am grateful for where I'm at

MarilynH

I used to think that I'd never quit smoking BUT after smoking 40 years of smoking at least 30 a day with at least a half dozen half assed attempts at quitting it wasn't until I found out that I have mild copd that i finally wised up and found this site and decided that it was time to take my life back so with the help of this community I'm heading for 6 precious Smokefree years, you can do this quit believe it deep breaths and know that we're all here to help you in any way we can. Metalhead1998