Sister5

Why are the cravings worse when I get to the third day

I can make it to the third day then I fail

21 Replies
Sister5

Thanks so much for your help and support, I need all the help I can get

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

I was new once Sister5, thought I was going crazy. Wanted to be all better because not smoking felt so awful. I knew that walking the walk was my way out, but it felt rediculously hard to change. I was emotionally exhausted. There was no way for me to just catch a happy quit by trying to imagine it into reality. I just didn't smoke.

I stayed busy, walked, ate candy, did a lot of things other than smoke. That's it. Time, in my case, was my healer. Well, being willing to walk the walk helped too. 

0 Kudos
Sister5

Thanks, I just need to get past this horrible addiction, I beat myself up

constantly

On Sat, May 11, 2019, 4:36 PM maryfreecig <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

How is it going for you, Sister5? It does get easier. But it can feel weird to start. Ex is here for you.

Sister5

It's not going so good, I'm smoking

On Sun, May 12, 2019, 9:14 AM maryfreecig <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Thanks for responding. Many find there way to a strong quit is up and down. Keep looking for your quit. Ex is here for you along the way.

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Yes please keep trying...Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen 160 DOF 

0 Kudos
Alicatsam

Good morning. I'm just checking in, wondering how it's going for you. I'm on day 5, barely made it yesterday.

Hope you're hanging in there, taking care of you the best you can.

Sister5

Good for you, I'm smoking, going to try tomorrow, prayers

On Sun, May 12, 2019, 11:50 AM Alicatsam <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

Alicatsam

I see you have tried a few times. Have you tried any of the aids? I'm on the patch and would not be smoke free without it. True, I am not nicotine free, but I'm not taking in all the other chemicals and I'm not forcing 2nd hand smoke on everyone around me.

If you're having health issues due to smoking, it is so much better to use just nicotine rather than smoke cigarettes, which have so many other bad chemicals.

What are your reasons for wanting to quit? Mine is my dog, my only family. Knowing it's bad for him is great motivation not to smoke.

Regardless of how many times you don't make it past that 3rd day, it's awesome that you have kept getting back on the horse and continued seeking support on Ex. Give yourself a little pack on the back for each time you make it through one day smoke free. Or one hour, even. Reward yourself for every success rather than beat yourself up for every failure. I think it's harder to quit if you feel bad about yourself.

Positive reinforcement is absolutely key for me to hang on to my quit. I let myself bask in my pride each morning and evening, and I also enjoy all the congrats and encouragement i get from Ex and acquaintances from work and the dog parks. My nonsmoker friend was just telling me today how amazing i am for not smoking for 5 days. She is awesome for asking what it's like and never judging me when I was smoking. Many of my smoker friends at work are in awe, and one is about ready to join me on the journey.

If you have tried several times and keep running into the same wall,  I say it is perfectly ok to weaken that wall with a patch or any kind of medication that can help so you can crash through and finally join the party on the other side.