cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kev2

Why are (some) non-smokers so ignorant??

So before work today I was standing outside in front of my building with some fellow smokers like I do everyday. One of my "non-smoking" co-workers came outside as well. I proceeded to tell everyone that I set a date for me to quit smoking and that I was actually gonna follow through this time. I told them that i was quitting in 3 weeks because I wanted to give myself some time to cut back before I officially quit. My non-smoking friend said the following with a cocky tone:

"I dont get why you cant just quit now. I cant be THAT hard! You act like youre addicted to heroin."

My reply:

"Have you ever smoked?"

Friend:

"No."

Me:

"Then shut the f@%k up." (excuse my language)

I didnt want to get into a heated debate with this guy because I've have this discussion hundreds of times with non-smokers before and it goes no where. Why cant they just get it that nicotine is a hard "drug" to quit? Trust me if i could put these things down and walk away i would have done it YEARS ago. I'm just getting sick of being looked down upon like i'm some idiot because I just "cant quit". Has anyone else had to deal with this?
0 Kudos
70 Replies
kristim

That must have been horrible! The hospital here went non-smoking on the entire campus! Even if you're sitting in your car in the parking lot.
0 Kudos
suzy2

...not very helpful or comforting words for anyone who's contemplating putting down, or has put down the pack; and quite honestly, it's a little insulting. Yes, of course smokers know that's the "intellectual" reality, but at the end of the day, physical and psychological addiction doesn't agree with you. I know smokers say "I can't", but what they really mean is "it's going to be excruciating, I'm petrified, and I'm afraid of not being successful". Don't minimize how difficult it is nor minimize what a HUGE accomplishment it is for those who do make it over that ginormous (!) hurdle.
0 Kudos
jaylah

What she said. ^
0 Kudos
lizzo

Wait, what are you saying? Smoking is bad for you? Crap.
0 Kudos
suzy2

WOW. Now that you've quit smoking (and so easily too, congratulations!!), perhaps you could work on your social skills. While you certainly are SO entitled to YOUR opinion, it's unfortunate that, in MY opinion, your counsel is not affective or remotely motivational. It tends to turn my genetically sunny disposition into an ugly state! I'll have to ignore your replies/comments completely from this point or you'll become an easy excuse to fall off my wagon!!! (Good thing I'm going to ignore your response on using someone else as an excuse for my own failure--you're yawningly predictable!!).

...I've found in life that those who spout the longest and the loudest are typically the most frightened and/or guilty; maybe you'd like to check out the "Closet Smokers" Group.
0 Kudos
kristim

AMEN SISTER!!!
0 Kudos
jaylah

ROFL!!!

Yup, that's what I hear, Lizzo! Darned shame, huh? 🙂
0 Kudos
nikkie-noodle

I do not knowe how other smokers (ex smokers) talk about it, but I tell non-smokers what i go through and tell them how lucky they are. i am very genuine with this, and they totally look at me in amazement the way i describe it.. i never hold punches back about this. it has been a good therapy for me as well. talking about my feelings has helped me get through alot of my kicking the habit. yes, some people are ignorant, but they will be like that. the ignorant ones who are willing to listen, actually understands. then you have those who are just plain ole' ignorant. forget about them and move on!!! It's all about US!! stay aboard!! you will get over this!!!..........Noodle
0 Kudos
lizzo

Dang it all! Its a darned shame indeed.
0 Kudos
vanessa11

HAHAHA!!!ALL THE FRICKEN TIME!!! every time i went into work, some non-smokers were always asking me when I was going to quit..n they all looked at me funny like I had three heads when i told them i wasn't planning till about another month or so...(this was about a month ago). Even my own boyfriend could not understand how addicting it is..i think it is even worse than any hard drug on the planet!!! The other day my little sister (she is only 17) did not have any cigaretts and since i already quit i refused to buy them for her...she sat around all day yelling and screaming at everybody and getting irritated at the smallest things...then I realized....wow...it really is a bad drug!!! my sister went one day, and I remember what it was like when I was that age and I didn't have my nicotine!! it was brutal!!

quitting definitly ain't easy....this addiciton is the worst to get through....i cannot say that i'v gone completely without cigaretts (i've cheated once or twice), but when people ask about my quitting status i just let them know that these things take time, and i'm working on it and doing the best i can...don't let them get to you!!! non-smokers are the worst on smokers!!!
0 Kudos