cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kev2

Why are (some) non-smokers so ignorant??

So before work today I was standing outside in front of my building with some fellow smokers like I do everyday. One of my "non-smoking" co-workers came outside as well. I proceeded to tell everyone that I set a date for me to quit smoking and that I was actually gonna follow through this time. I told them that i was quitting in 3 weeks because I wanted to give myself some time to cut back before I officially quit. My non-smoking friend said the following with a cocky tone:

"I dont get why you cant just quit now. I cant be THAT hard! You act like youre addicted to heroin."

My reply:

"Have you ever smoked?"

Friend:

"No."

Me:

"Then shut the f@%k up." (excuse my language)

I didnt want to get into a heated debate with this guy because I've have this discussion hundreds of times with non-smokers before and it goes no where. Why cant they just get it that nicotine is a hard "drug" to quit? Trust me if i could put these things down and walk away i would have done it YEARS ago. I'm just getting sick of being looked down upon like i'm some idiot because I just "cant quit". Has anyone else had to deal with this?
0 Kudos
70 Replies
ashley34

ugh, tell me about it. I feel thats why ive come to this website, so i can actually share whats going on without someone telling me "its no big deal"
THEY DONT GET IT!
i wish you the best of luck when you do quit, just remember to never give up. its worth it in the long run, no matter how hard it will be in the beginning, as time goes on it will only get easier.
GOOD LUCK!!!
0 Kudos
becca5

Dude, I know exactly what you mean. The thing that they don't get is that smoking is not just a thing that we do, it's who we are. If it was just an addiction to a chemical, it would be easier. But when you've been a smoker for years, seeing yourself as a non-smoker isn't as easy as it looks. You have to give up a friend who's comforted you when you were down, something more reliable than pretty much anything. Quitting smoking means altering your identity--and that's freakin' hard.
0 Kudos
brenda-t

I beleive everyone who smokes and has tried or is trying to quit has had an argument of the same type with a non smoker. I have smoked now for 16 years, I have attempted to quit a total of 4 times, maybe 5. So now I am doing exactly what you are and that is I am going outside the box for help. I dont know if this ex program will work, but I will give it my best shot. Good luck to you.
0 Kudos
kj-1

Yes but it is what it is! I tried cold turkey once, It was as physically difficult as i imagine quitting heroin is. They dont understand that. Besides some like the guy you talked about just want to have one more thing to feel smug about.
Don't worry you will get there. Fuggettabouhim LOL

Good Luck
0 Kudos
nanna1751

Here's the comment I hate: "you know you REALLY should STOP that!!!" Well, hell! if I could, dammit, I would!!!!!!!! So, I always say, " Do you drink -- ever?" The response is usually, "yes." My reply, then, is," well, you drink -- I smoke. Let's meet somewhere in the middle." I don't drink EVER...!!!! lol
0 Kudos
kev2

The funny thing about non-smokers to me is that I am very courteous when I am around them. If i'm around some of "them" and I need a smoke i'll walk away and smoke. I'm not gonna smoke around them. Reason being I know they dont like it. The LAST thing i wanna hear is a bunch of crap about how I need to quit and its not that hard...yadda yadda yadda. I respect them so they should respect me. The whole "I'm better than you cuz i dont smoke" attitude is what pisses me off.
0 Kudos
nanna1751

Well, see -- that's why I respond like I do! Better than me? I'm a recovering addict and alcholic -- 16 years clean and sober. They can't go telling me that I should "STOP DOING THAT" if they get drunk on Friday night!!!! It's always easier for someone to look outside of themselves to criticize someone else.....LAUGH @ THEM!!!!
0 Kudos
nancy23

Hi there. Just realize when someone says that to you it's just their egos talking to make themselves feel superior. Don't get drawn into their negativity and drama. I've found it's best to copy an old zen master's example by responding "Is that so?", and walk away.
0 Kudos
evan_odum

Cigarettes are harder to quit then Heroine..... It is proven to be a stronger (and the strongest) addiction.
0 Kudos