cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sek4110

Why am I afraid to give up two cigarettes?

My quit date is March 23rd.  In the beginning of March my non-smoking sister suggested that I pick a time each day that I would absolutely not smoke for example driving my car.   I chose all day all night that I would not smoke.  Since March 9th I have two cigarettes in the morning and then I don’t smoke all day all night. In the 10 days that I’ve been doing this I had one slip up and smoked a ciggarette in the evening. I am using the patch. I put it on after the two cigarettes in the morning.  I am really freaking out over the thought of giving up those two cigarettes in the morning.  I am more fearful of giving those two cigarettes up then I am not smoking all day all night how crazy is that? Any suggestions?

117 Replies
Sek4110

Thank you.  I am so looking forward to not thinking about cigarettes.  I walked outside at work today and one of the employees was smoking.  I have to say it did not smell good at all.  I was happy for that

YoungAtHeart

Day TWO?

Good for you!!!

Don't forget to change up your routine!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Sek4110

At 6:30 am this morning it has been 24 hours since my last yippie 

Sek4110

Correction.... What I meant to say is at 6:30 AM this morning it’s been 72 hours since my last cigarette

elvan

You are doing GREAT!  I remember thinking that I would never stop thinking about smoking or rather about NOT smoking, it really is a journey and sometimes we have to take baby steps.  That smell of someone else smoking got worse and worse for me and now, I swear I can smell a smoker from three aisles away in the grocery store and I am so embarrassed to have smelled like that.  You are doing this...staying close to the site helped me so much, I read blogs, I was here every morning and every evening and after over five years, I am still here most days.  I don't have craves anymore but I do have memories of times when I smoked.  Not that it is hard to dismiss them.  Remember that no crave ever killed anyone but NO ONE can say that about cigarettes.  Keep going...

Ellen

0 Kudos
elvan

How are you doing Sek4110‌?  Thinking about you.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Sek4110

Thank you kindly for thinking about me during this process.  I am hanging in there.  I felt amazing when I woke up this morning, no craving what so ever.  Of course as the day progressed things got a little more difficult but I handled it.  I can not wait to be able to go a whole day without thinking about cigarettes.  What an amazing feeling that must be.  I have been smoking for a little over 40 years.  I read today that only about 6 percent of people quit on their first attempt.  I want to be on of those people so badly.  Maybe in time I can help some of the newbies like you all are helping me. 

Beck37

You can so be one of those 6% people. After all quitting is a forever thing otherwise it’s just taking a hiatus. As long as you know that smoking is no longer an option for you, you will be great. There are no “slip ups” as everything is a conscious decision.  Keep in mind it’s only a cigarette, not chocolate!!!!

Beck

elvan

Sek4110  You absolutely CAN be part of the 6%.  I remember when I came here and lots of people talked about how this was their "FOREVER" Quit, I SO longed to be able to say that and even MORE, to be able to FEEL it.  I stayed close, I read, I paid attention and that was over five years ago.  This IS my Forever Quit and I am so glad that I DO FEEL it.

I am really happy for you.  I do believe that you are going to be a great asset to the site and you know what?  Newbies are helpful too because they remind us of where we were.

Ellen

Sek4110

Thank you Ellen.  By nature I am very competitive and as such I am committed to being in the 6 percent forever quit group. Mentally this has become a competition for me and I want to finish in the top 6 percent! 

Do do so I need to figure out a reward system for myself. I use to reward myself with a cigarette when I completed certain tasks, especially at work.  I do not want to use food.  A deep breath is not the answer for me. As silly as this might sound I really need something other than a cigarette. This was my struggle today. Any suggestions??