cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sek4110

Why am I afraid to give up two cigarettes?

My quit date is March 23rd.  In the beginning of March my non-smoking sister suggested that I pick a time each day that I would absolutely not smoke for example driving my car.   I chose all day all night that I would not smoke.  Since March 9th I have two cigarettes in the morning and then I don’t smoke all day all night. In the 10 days that I’ve been doing this I had one slip up and smoked a ciggarette in the evening. I am using the patch. I put it on after the two cigarettes in the morning.  I am really freaking out over the thought of giving up those two cigarettes in the morning.  I am more fearful of giving those two cigarettes up then I am not smoking all day all night how crazy is that? Any suggestions?

117 Replies
maryfreecig

Bargaining?

Two is better than none?

In quitting, I cut new bargains--rewards really. I knew that I was not going to find the perfect conclusion to my smoking and then walk off into the sunset a happy quitter. So I worked through each day by getting a few things I liked--like a candy bar, a comedy program, a book, a good walk... These things done one day at a time brought the smobriety I was looking for (living smokefree and not missing it). 

Sounds like you are very disiplined so maybe support (like Ex) is your next best step!!! Keep coming back--read, learn, blog.

Sek4110

Tomorrow is my big day!   Thank you for your input.

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s ... glad you found our site.  Isn’t it odd we are all afraid to quit smoking, but no one ever died from quitting, like they have from continuing smoking.  Think about it ... two cigarettes you are giving up, but choosing Life ... amazing ... please don’t fear it...Giving up those two cigarettes will be the best thing you have ever done.  It just takes time to feel good in your new quit skin.  We are here to support you and you should have in plan what you will do in the morning of your quit ... You can do this ~ Colleen 106 DOF 

Sek4110

A plan for my quit?  No I do not have a plan. I smoke on the lanai each morning. I will run of cigarettes on Friday morning. Saturday is my quit day so there will be no cigarettes in sight.   Ummm I will have to think about this. It is probably in my best interest that I sleep in to insure a good night's rest and the get out of the house as quickly as I can.  Go somewhere, do something.  Thank you Colleen.  

I saved one for the morning of my quit. so wasn't focused on not being able to smoke when I woke up.

That last cigarette was over 12 years ago

sweetplt

Most important is doing something other than smoke... good plan to sleep in...go somewhere, maybe take a walk... come here and answer posts, etc., everything we do is trying to recreate doing new things in place of smoke...reading your responses here I thing you will do great...~ Colleen

Sek4110

I pray at the end of the day tomorrow, before I go to bed, I can think to myself "I did great!".  Thank you for your support.

Find something that give you  dopamine. I played guitar at a friends 10 hours a day my first two weeks.

indingrl

Thanks for asking- when you have made YOUR decision to surrender YOUR old using DRUG NICOTINE death stcks -  YOU love YOU and your CHOICE -  to live a NEW non smoker life style -  just for YOU and the way it works just for YOU. CONGRATS AND WAY TO GO! Yahoooooooooo

elvan

You can do this, you are already DOING it.  Absolutely change up your routine,...do something that gets dopamine flowing...exercise, go for a brisk walk, do jumping jacks.  It is amazing that you are already feeling better...be grateful for that.

Congratulations on your upcoming quit.

Ellen