cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tiptop

Why Is it Soooooooooooo hard

Why is it so hard to quit smoking even with the help of doctors,and meds, and the patches? July 10 was my quit date. The first few days on the patch and the trial pill went well. But here comes stress and the need to smoke. Then the following week there was a lapse. I smoked but not my usual 21/2 packs only 6. My brain screams take a smoke. Why hasn't the doctors found away to knock us out for a couple of weeks so we can wake up smoke free and no craving. They do it for drug addicts why not us?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
connie2

I don't know. There is no miracle drug for nicotine yet. I guess it's called "Self Control". Our minds tell us "It's okay" but it's not okay. Even drug addicts relapse. It's an excuse to do it. You just have to try to find a way each time your mind tells you that "Oh have a smoke", that it's the devil saying "Oh, come on, it won't hurt you...Just one, It's only one". Don't be a pushover for it to control you. You can do it!!!
0 Kudos
edith2

Guess what? Quitting is hard! Anything worth doing is hard! And you say you didn't smoke that much when you relapsed? I know what you mean, I didn't have that much sex to get pregnant 3 times! Some say that it's harder to quit smoking than it is heroin! Well, I don't know about that. But what I do know is that every time you get past a craving without smoking, the next craving is weaker, then weaker, and one day, it's gone. But you have to go through it to get there. I smoked for 35 years and tried to quit 4 times. This time I have four years and it's the longest I've ever had. You can do this.
0 Kudos
hwc

"Why hasn't the doctors found away to knock us out for a couple of weeks so we can wake up smoke free and no craving. "

Because it wouldn't work. In addition to being a physical addiction, smoking is a learned behavior. We have taught ourselve, over many years, when to light up to get the nicotine fix our addiction demands. Thus, there are two steps to becoming a successful ex-smoker:

a) breaking tthe nicotine addiction
b) teaching ourselves to fully enjoy NOT smoking in response to the triggers that used to make us smoke.

Here's a perfect example. You say, "But here comes stress and the need to smoke." That's actually a false belief that you have taught yourself. The only "stress" that smoking cures is the stress of nictone withdrawal 30 minutes after your last cigarette. Otherwise, smoking puts incredible stress on your body, starting with the massive amount of carbon monoxide poisoining in your bloodstream.

You've actually taught yourself to do something that kills you. Think how silly it is for us to believe that we get anything postiive from smoking a cigarette. Crazy, isn't it?

The cravings and urges are probably an essential part of quitting. But, rather than being some kind of horrible thing, they are part of a very positive learning experience. Embrace each crave, learn to respond by thinking about the wonderful benefits of not smoking, and then each crave becomes a learning experience that reinforces your effort to become a non-smoker. Each crave is a victory and each victory puts you closer to being an ex-smoker without craves. You are breaking a crave each time.
louise2

HWC, You are right on the money with your advice on addictions. Thanks for the reinforcement!!
0 Kudos
louise2

Hi Tiptop, Quitting smoking, is NOT easy. It takes a real commitment. You can succeed with all the help from Doctors, meds, this site and also go to Whyquit.com It is another wonderful reality check web site. You will find all the encouragement and support in these two places. Just make sure you are very prepared to quit. Do the program, follow the steps and don't rush into it. If you relapse, start agaian as soon as you can. You will do great.
0 Kudos
debbie38

hi, tiptop
i know exactly what u mean. my quit date was july 27, this time, i am doin' better than i thought i would. just remember why u want to quit. I like to breathe. and i have a 3 yr old grandaughter, who is the light of my life and another grandbaby is on the way. so, good luck. just keep on trying.
0 Kudos
aly2

I hear ya~ we all hear ya~ but we also have to remember it's not the doctors responsibility to solve it. They didn't start it, we did, so it's our responsibility to end it, too. You have seen the info on the site about the receptors in your brain -- THATS who is screaming for tobacco.... but the more you hold out the more those receptors will die. There is no way through it but through it........

Every time we smoke we strengthen the receptors. Every time we don't we weaken them. It sucks, and it's uncomfortable but we suffer when we do it and we suffer when we don't. Take the high ground of suffering-- for your own greater good!!

You can do it man!
0 Kudos
aly2

YES YES YESY hwc! Thanks for this......
0 Kudos
louise2

Yeah, TipTop, Were are you? Your advise really hit home with me man. Like to hear from you. Hope you are doing well or even if you think your aren't. Still be good to hear from you.
0 Kudos